Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla
Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

Harry vs Voldemort in DH2: Why it's a brilliant piece of filmmaking

Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2012 in General
@LordStafford - I didn't want the other thread to go too off topic so I thought I'd address your points of it being "pointless" here.

When Harry reveals himself to Voldemort, the second half of the battle of Hogwarts begins. Voldemort's rage leads him to throw Neville like he's nothing. Harry leads him away from the battle for one important reason: to protect the others. Voldemort is a danger to others, as proven with Neville, but not to Harry. Harry has already won. Harry knows he has won. All he needs to do now is to make sure the others stay safe, so to do that, he leads Voldemort away from the main battle.

The first look we get is Harry by himself in a debris filled hallway with plenty of dust.

Here are two screencaps given by @Aaron and @Bane in this thread:

http://harrypotterforum.com/discussion/10285/deathly-hallows-part-2-cinematography-one-post-one-frame

This scene shows Harry alone. He's scattered. In his final battle, the most important moment in his life, he himself is lost in the maze that is Hogwarts. The wide, centered shot shows him completely alone. It shows the bodies of dead students. Even though he has won, perhaps he hasn't figured it out yet. What if he's wrong? His goal was to get Voldemort away, and he has. Now he needs to duel him, something he's gotten away by twin cores in GOF and by Dumbledore in OOTP. Now he has to stand and fight, and he's scared. It all comes down to this, a fight for his life.

Finally, he finds Voldemort and they begin dueling. He fires one spell as a surprise, but then after that, he's completely on the defensive. Harry knows that Voldemort is a better and more experienced wizard. Harry isn't going to win this duel by attacking, but by buying himself time to kill Nagini. He plays it smart. Instead of attacking Voldemort, he causes a diversion by letting the rubble fall between them. Voldemort just manages to stop him from killing Nagini, and so comes the next portion of the battle.

Voldemort gets Harry and starts beating him like a muggle. That's what it has come to for the supposed "greatest wizard" of all time. He can't beat Harry. 17 years and he can't defeat one boy. He's lost it. He's had enough. He turns into the one thing that he despises above everything else: muggles. This Voldemort destroys any Voldemort in any of the other films. This one has the most personality, is the most deceiving, has the most character, the biggest moodswings, the biggest rage, fear, etcetc. Ralph hits it out of the park with this Voldemort, and this scene here really seals the deal. He's dropped himself from great wizard to a muggle. He's physically beating Harry. He doesn't know what else to do, he just lets rage consume him. It's brilliantly shot and put together. Harry just gets back and taunts him, which leads to the cliff jump.

There are two main purposes for this scene. One is to buy time for Nagini to be killed, and the other more important one, is to mock Voldemort. Harry essentially tells him: "I know something you don't." That idea is appalling to Voldemort, there's no possible way the boy could know something he doesn't. For the tiniest space of time, perhaps right before another attempt to kill him, Harry sends them both over.

The entire apparation sequence is a cinematic pleasure. Great music, great effects, just a great scene all around. The entire reasoning behind it again, the mocking of Voldemort. Harry knows Voldemort will apparate to safety. Harry knows Voldemort is a giant coward. He uses all of this to his advantage and shows it. Harry was willing to die in the forest and he's willing to die now. Voldemort isn't. Voldemort can't possibly accept the fact that falling would kill them both and that he still had a horcrux in Nagini, even in danger. The thought would never cross his mind. He had to stay alive. This was Harry's advantage.

Looking at this shot, why is someone laughing? It's obviously Voldemort right? Well, no, it isn't. What the hell does Voldemort have to laugh about? Elder Wand not working? Harry still alive? Death Eaters leaving him? His power weakening? Oh yes, very reasonable for him to be laughing. What about Harry? He's just made a fool out of Voldemort and is about to win. More brilliance and PURPOSE behind everything.

Now to the final courtyard scene. Harry is still buying time for Nagini's death, but he can't wait any longer. The two spells collide in a great, final scene.

The bodies, the ruins, the slowly rising sunset. What's not to love? Neville comes to the rescue with the sword of gryffindor, giving the overall feeling: "HOLY FUCK THIS IS IT THIS IS IT FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!"

I never questioned the decision to make Voldemort's eyes blue back in GOF for emotion reasons. I didn't really see any reason to complain, so I thought, whatever. Now I praise that decision. Look at the watery, emotional eyes of Voldemort right there. You know he's hurt and he's just plain shocked. It's truly fantastic.

Cue the epic score by Mr. Desplat and we go back to one final spell collision. This time Voldemort dies and slowly floats away. There's a lot of hate for this scene, but the "its all for 3D" is completely rubbish.

The film hints at Voldemort's decaying body plenty of times. He inspects his flaking arms TWICE, when the diadem is destroyed and then in the boathouse. Also, in the forest, you can see (other than his neck rolls) that his skin is flaking. It builds up with hints and foreshadowing.

People will complain he should die like a human. Why does that symbolism actually matter so much? Another type of symbolism, a devil-like, unhuman kind, could be used. He twisted himself so much with dark magic, went beyond the realm of the normal human that he no longer was one, so he did not die like one. I really don't see why that simple shot is done PURELY for 3D. I doubt they're sitting around spitballing ideas to say: "okay, what works best for 3D?" I mean there are legitimate reasons behind them, the fact that it might be very jarring for Voldemort to just die and fall immediately. They tried it, as we all know now, and probably saw something that didn't work. Lily's theme with Voldemort floating away in front of a demolished Hogwarts with the sunrise? That shot is beauty at it's finest my friend.

So there you have it. There's a purpose to everything done in the battle and it's all done beautifully. I'd love to here legitimate reasons to those who think otherwise, I'm open to debate.

Comments

• BaneBane Posts: 9,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 26,633 mod
    As good as you are at analysing, you always feel the need to make something out of the slightest thing. Even though i'm not sure if your stubbornness is a good thing or a bad thing, i'm not going to disagree with you on most of this, as there isn't much to disagree with. I'm not going to try at that.

The 3D aspect of it, with more than many people who have an opinion of it, is not 'completely rubbish' To go off course as they did, is 'completely' disrespectful to Jo's material. Jo showed how it was all about love, and how, in the end, Voldemort was just a human being. Like you and i. To portray him as some kind of literal monster is not canon, and is not right. Plus, as good as Ralph is in this film, his character does not 'destroy' any other. He may be as good as he is in GOF, but not better.

You are giving me alot of 'symbolism' and 'beauty' but not alot of what makes the story what it is. I would like to hear you talk more about that, and less about how everything is symbolic and beautiful. Because, when i talk about the 'pointless' aspect of it, i am talking about the apparation, not the entire confrontation, and it's background. It just doesn't do it for me. Sometimes, music and symbolism isn't enough.

Onto your point about how Harry is holding off Voldemort, biding time for the others to kill Nagini. In many situations, Harry has no choice. When their spells collide for the second to last time, Harry is responding to Voldemort. This isn't genius, it's logic, and it's what anybody else would naturally do to hold off the curse of an opponent. Another example of you making something out of nothing.

And as much as this film is made for the fans, it also has to pertain to a general audience. In order for an audience to understand, you can't have everything layered underneath many other plot situations and scenarios. Something has to happen that makes you go 'Oh, i get that' There has to be that point, where hints and foreshadowings end. Otherwise, you shouldn't pertain to a wider audience. Of course, we all understand everything anyway, so we have no reason to worry about that. Because we are the fans, and we talk about it to the point where we have already said anything we could have said, before we've even said it. But, like i say, that 1 billion didn't come from a select group.

In closing, i will say that we are both as right as each other, and we are both as wrong as each other.

Lord Stafford.
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 3D aspect of it, with more than many people who have an opinion of it, is not 'completely rubbish' To go off course as they did, is 'completely' disrespectful to Jo's material. Jo showed how it was all about love, and how, in the end, Voldemort was just a human being. Like you and i. To portray him as some kind of literal monster is not canon, and is not right. Plus, as good as Ralph is in this film, his character does not 'destroy' any other. He may be as good as he is in GOF, but not better.
    It's not disrespectful, it's just another outlook on it. If Jo felt disrespected she would've said something. When Cuaron tried to make changes like the graveyard at Hogwarts, she said no to that because it was really something she didn't want. If she felt disrespected, she would have said so, especially as a co-producer.

Also, keep things separate from the book. I did my best not to mention the book at all. Look at it from just a film standpoint without mentioning the book and tell me why it's bad.

Also, why? Voldemort definitely has more of everything in DH2 than GOF. More rage, emotion, he's even a bit humuours, and he shows his deceiving handsome boy side.
    You are giving me alot of 'symbolism' and 'beauty' but not alot of what makes the story what it is. I would like to hear you talk more about that, and less about how everything is symbolic and beautiful. Because, when i talk about the 'pointless' aspect of it, i am talking about the apparation, not the entire confrontation, and it's background. It just doesn't do it for me. Sometimes, music and symbolism isn't enough.
    Why the apparation? It conveys the point of Voldemort being a coward and Harry mocking him. They stretched it out and showed them fighting and struggling rather than talking in a circle. That's the point behind it.
    Onto your point about how Harry is holding off Voldemort, biding time for the others to kill Nagini. In many situations, Harry has no choice. When their spells collide for the second to last time, Harry is responding to Voldemort. This isn't genius, it's logic, and it's what anybody else would naturally do to hold off the curse of an opponent. Another example of you making something out of nothing.
    I didn't say it was genius. Okay, it's instinct, but that's what Harry is still doing. Even if he has to react, the whole reason he's doing this is to buy time. This fact is very true when he takes Voldemort away from the battle and the cliff jump.
    And as much as this film is made for the fans, it also has to pertain to a general audience. In order for an audience to understand, you can't have everything layered underneath many other plot situations and scenarios. Something has to happen that makes you go 'Oh, i get that' There has to be that point, where hints and foreshadowings end. Otherwise, you shouldn't pertain to a wider audience. Of course, we all understand everything anyway, so we have no reason to worry about that. Because we are the fans, and we talk about it to the point where we have already said anything we could have said, before we've even said it. But, like i say, that 1 billion didn't come from a select group.
    I really don't get your point with this.
    In closing, i will say that we are both as right as each other, and we are both as wrong as each other.
    Neither of us are wrong or right as they're opinions, but you the reason you gave for Voldemort's death wasn't a film complaint it was a book complaint, the thing you said about the apparation was not a big deal, and the buying time thing is true even if the last one it was instinct. The overall picture of the battle being great you haven't said anything about, you just brought up very minor points.
  • yonythemoonyyonythemoony Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J.K. was the producer of both DH films. She had a right to decide to kept Or cut something.
    J.K. was the producer of both DH films. She had a right to decide to kept Or cut something.
    Exactly. If something was disrespectful to her she'd say so.
  • XDMorsmordreXDXDMorsmordreXD Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They were lucky that she was lenient and allowed many changes.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mysterious thing time.

Well, what changes did they make that were life altering? I don't really think there were any changes that made her questionable in this film.
    Well, as much as we are bound to understand anything that goes on in the films, others aren't. With the Horcruxes in HBP, we could understand it, even though it wasn't properly explained. Because we have the background information; being fans and all. The wider audience won't, because of the lack of explanation.
    Neither of us are wrong or right as they're opinions, but you the reason you gave for Voldemort's death wasn't a film complaint it was a book complaint, the thing you said about the apparation was not a big deal, and the buying time thing is true even if the last one it was instinct. The overall picture of the battle being great you haven't said anything about, you just brought up very minor points.
    True. Just as anyone could be seen as being 'right' or 'wrong' it would be both of us. You are no more right than i am, and i am no more right than you are. That's my point, in saying what i said.

Lord Stafford.

Well, what changes did they make that were life altering? I don't really think there were any changes that made her questionable in this film.
    Calm yourself. I wasn't being negative.
    Mysterious thing time.
    edited February 2012

loll, I'm perfectly calm and I realize that you aren't being negative. You said they are lucky she was lenient to allow many changes. I myself don't see any major changes and I'm wondering what you think they are.
    Post edited by Martin1 on

loll, I'm perfectly calm and I realize that you aren't being negative. You said they are lucky she was lenient to allow many changes. I myself don't see any major changes and I'm wondering what you think they are.
    There were a bunch of little changes. I never said anything big.
    Mysterious thing time.

Well, as much as we are bound to understand anything that goes on in the films, others aren't. With the Horcruxes in HBP, we could understand it, even though it wasn't properly explained. Because we have the background information; being fans and all. The wider audience won't, because of the lack of explanation.

True. Just as anyone could be seen as being 'right' or 'wrong' it would be both of us. You are no more right than i am, and i am no more right than you are. That's my point, in saying what i said.

Lord Stafford.
    And that's why it's a film series. It's meant to have seen the other films. And even if you haven't, it's clear enough Harry is destroying Voldemorts horcruxes and then killing him, even if they don't understand the exact background to it. It's pretty clear on that point.

It is an opinion, but like I said, you didn't really say anything against my point other than bringing up the book.

Ahh, gotcha. Still, she's always been lenient with little changes, loll, it's a movie, there's going to be plenty of those.

Ahh, gotcha. Still, she's always been lenient with little changes, loll, it's a movie, there's going to be plenty of those.
    Roald Dahl completely destroyed Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971).

:))
    Mysterious thing time.
    @Martin

Between you and i, Martin; I will say that i've always agreed with you on how it's a 'brilliant piece of filmmaking' I want to make that clear. Because it's only natural, as you and i are both here for the exact same reason: Harry Potter.

It's called diversity. And where i might opt for the suspenseful, you might not. I may not have explained everything in the clearest way, but i'll PM you at some point, just to be doubly sure that i have.

Lord Stafford.
    @Martin

Between you and i, Martin; I will say that i've always agreed with you on how it's a 'brilliant piece of filmmaking' I want to make that clear. Because it's only natural, as you and i are both here for the exact same reason: Harry Potter.

It's called diversity. And where i might opt for the suspenseful, you might not. I may not have explained everything in the clearest way, but i'll PM you at some point, just to be doubly sure that i have.

Lord Stafford.
    Oh okay that changes it quite a bit. I thought you really didn't like the battle at all so I was confused as to why you didn't really bring up many points.

Roald Dahl completely destroyed
    Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971).

Oh god he did, lmfao :p

• Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm always going to wonder, as much as enjoyed the way it was done in the film, what it would have looked like to have the Book's final confrontation.

Nobody can deny it would have been to cool to have everyone battling around each other with Kingsley, McGonnogal and Slughorn all taking on Voldemort, also with Bellatrix dueling half the DA. Of course they would have also needed to keep Neville's "Hell freezing over" and killing of nagini in that fashion.

I'm not advocating being a purist but it would have been cool to see. Plus throw in Harry telling him to "Show a little remorse"
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

I'm a book fan there to see the film though, I'm not a natural film fan. So sometimes I do side with the novels but I respect what we got obviously because DH2 is my favorite film of all time, along with te other 7 movies and there are a few additions I adored. (Harry/Hermione Dance.)
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

I'm always going to wonder, as much as enjoyed the way it was done in the film, what it would have looked like to have the Book's final confrontation.

Nobody can deny it would have been to cool to have everyone battling around each other with Kingsley, McGonnogal and Slughorn all taking on Voldemort, also with Bellatrix dueling half the DA. Of course they would have also needed to keep Neville's "Hell freezing over" and killing of nagini in that fashion.

I'm not advocating being a purist but it would have been cool to see. Plus throw in Harry telling him to "Show a little remorse"
    With proper direction, it could've been just as dazzling as what we actually got.
    Mysterious thing time.
  • yonythemoonyyonythemoony Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should have filmed both endings for the purists and for the open minded fans.
    They should have filmed both endings for the purists and for the open minded fans.
    Mysterious thing time.
    Lol remakes damnit

FUCK YOU I KNOW ITS READAPTATION

• TheDoctorTheDoctor Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2012
    I felt that the movie did a good job of taking the major feelings/themes of the final Harry vs. Voldemort in the book and translating them on screen, making them more physical based for the film.
    Post edited by TheDoctor on
    edited February 2012
    I felt that the movie did a good job of taking the major feelings/themes of the final Harry vs. Voldemort in the book and translating them on screen, making them more physical based for the film.
    Exactly. It took the same ideas and made them fresh and cinematically interesting. I can never thank Yates enough for coming up with the apparating battle idea; it's so incredibly ballsy on every single level, he must knew that it would be a tough sell and that it would give purists nightmares, but he went with it because it was actually relevant to the two characters despite what the detractors think.

Maybe that's why I appreciate it so much, in addition to it being beautiful with such mindblowing music-- and the face merging part was just inspired, plain and simple. I did not expect to see such images in one of these films.
    Post edited by Bane on
    Is that your answer to everything? It has nothing to do with 'purists' and 'open minded fans'

Lord Stafford.
  • PumpkinjuicePumpkinjuice Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2012
    Meh, it's just an effect show. That is, in the eyes of the ancient Academy members who needs the symbolism to be spelled out to appreciate it, such as the heavenly ending of The Tree of Life.
    Post edited by Pumpkinjuice on
  • NumberEightNumberEight Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have hated it. Enemies circling and a mass amount of exposition is trite and cliche.

@Pumpkinjuice Tree of Life's ending would have been 100% perfect to me if the mother hadn't said "I give him to you."
    Pottermore username: DustBlade76

So Crucify the ego, before it's far too late, to leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical. And you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable.
    @Numbereight You wouldn't have wanted to see Voldemort duel Kingsley/McGonnogal/Slughorn?

It defeats the purpose of Harry trying to keep everyone safe by drawing Voldemort away from the battle. I mean, it would have been nice, but it loses that main point. What will Harry be doing during this? Just fapping in the corner? Banging Ginny in the ashes of the Room of Requirement?
    Yes, every choice causes a ripple effect. They changed the entire point of the final battle for the film version and made it to where nothing in the book version would make any sense.

Take for example Hermione, Luna, and Ginny against Bellatrix. Well, Hermione couldn't be involved in that because she's with Ron trying to kill Nagini. They could have still had Luna and Ginny fighting Bellatrix I suppose, but you can't have everything you want.
    And really, I think most of the choices were made for the better. I felt that the film version made Ron and Hermione more important for the finale, which some people would scoff at because of how much focus they get, but really, I felt that it was justified in the grand scheme of things because Ron and Hermione stuck with Harry through the thick and thin and they've been with Harry on the Horcrux journey from the very beginning so it makes perfect sense that they would still be involved with that.

Like I said, can't have everything because of logic, but I felt that a great deal of the changes for the film version were good, and even somewhat better.
    Not having the invisibility cloak was also absent so it would have been impossible to do some of this without it anyway... Do you think non readers caught the fact that Harry's cloak was a Hallow?

Not having the invisibility cloak was also absent so it would have been impossible to do some of this without it anyway... Do you think non readers caught the fact that Harry's cloak was a Hallow?
    I mean, it makes it blatantly obvious during the Tale of the Three Brothers, but I like the idea that someone could watch the film version, notice it, and then think about it. Stuff to think about is good. It's the mark of good storytelling that doesn't put everything out on a silver platter.
    I agree there, I mean I'm not advocating either I'm just throwing questions around.

Sure, I know, I'm just throwing shit around too. :p
    Not that you were throwing shit around, per se. Oh nevermind.
  • DarkWizardDarkWizard Posts: 1
    In my opinion voldemort's death wasn't actualy bad, and ridiculous like some of you said. He could desintegrade prefectly, the scene would be awesome, if the shot of his face like he was about to vomit wasn't there. If they only show his desintegration in a diferent angle it would be much better, you can see that the first shot of his desintegration is very cool, the shot that show his full body and his cloak floating with the wind is pretty beuttyfull, until they show his face, that in fact wans't Ralph Fiennes, was cg. So in teory his death is a great idea.
    'Prefectly' eh? Like a prefect.

Lord Stafford.
    What is it with newbies? Why do they always insist on bumping old threads?

Lord Stafford.
  • NickNick Posts: 20,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, they sure lack brain cells.

Lord Stafford.
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,799 mod
    Wow how rude guys, I mean come on, it was just someone new that had something to say...I didn't know that was a crime. There are plenty of new threads on the front page, so these old bumped threads aren't really taking away space from anything important at the moment...

Yeah, bumping a thread on a message board doesn't exactly constitute a mental deficiency.
  • aaronaaron Posts: 20,939 mod