Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID
Powered by Vanilla
Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

ASSASSIN'S CREED: UNITY Discussion | Sneak Peek

Comments

• Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 25,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 minutes.

Lord Stafford.
    The world or nothing.

Whatever it takes... survive.

Get ready, bitches. 1 minute.

Lord Stafford.
    The world or nothing.

Are you ready?

Lord Stafford.
    The world or nothing.

I've just seen it.

Lord Stafford.

The world or nothing.

edited March 2012
    An insane watch, for something so short. I will post it as soon as it's possible for me to do so.

Lord Stafford.
    Post edited by Lord Stafford on
    The world or nothing.

Lord Stafford.
    The world or nothing.

• mattStrelowmattStrelow Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    Too bad it was all CG, but whoa, tree platforming! WIN

October's gonna be huge! Bioshock Infinite and then this! Great
    Post edited by mattStrelow on

edited March 2012

Lord Stafford.
    The world or nothing.

• HessHess Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow that was an interesting watch. This trailer wasn't actually made with CG, it was all in-engine, wich I like.

Lord Stafford.
    The world or nothing.

• aaronaaron Posts: 20,898 mod
    That was pretty cool. Short, but what can you expect for a reveal trailer.
    imageimageimage
    Too bad it was all CG, but whoa, tree platforming! WIN

October's gonna be huge! Bioshock Infinite and then this! Great
    It wasn't. The graphics weren't pre rendered. I watched the entire IGN live stream just to find everything out.

Lord Stafford.
    The world or nothing.

Beautiful

Lord Stafford.
    The world or nothing.

'Ignite The Revolution'

Available for pre order now.

Lord Stafford.

The world or nothing.

Wow that was an interesting watch. This trailer wasn't actually made with CG, it was all in-engine, wich I like.
    I highly doubt that's in-game footage.

I highly doubt that's in-game footage.
    It is how it will look. You can see the gameplay at work. It would be obvious if it was all CG. For starters, Connor would look and feel different. The way he moves shows that it is all because of the new engine.

Lord Stafford.
    The world or nothing.

It's game rendered. Meaning that it's from the actual game.

Lord Stafford.
    The world or nothing.

It is how it will look. You can see the gameplay at work. It would be obvious if it was all CG. For starters, Connor would look and feel different. The way he moves shows that it is all because of the new engine.

Lord Stafford.
    It does look graphicly possible, but it is a cinematic trailer at best.
    None of this is in-game or gameplay footage. This is a CG animation.
    I'm not trying to burst your bubble or anything, I'm also excited, but the game is not gonna look like this.

edited March 2012
    Sure, i know it's not real gameplay. But i also know that it is very close to how the gameplay will be. Everything is familiar, and it is mimicked for trailer purposes. That much is known by anyone who is talking about it. What you see is the in game engine. I can assure you of that.

Lord Stafford.
    The world or nothing.

Sure, i know it's not real gameplay. But i also know that it is very close to how the gameplay will be. Everything is familiar, and it is mimicked for trailer purposes. That much is known by anyone who is talking about it.

Lord Stafford.
    I know, I was just saying is that this footage is not rendered in the game's engine

But it is. I've updated that post. The movements you see and the graphics you see are both from the actual game and it's gameplay. The only difference is that they mimic it with slight mechanics to boost it up for the trailer. They almost turn everything into one big cutscene. What you see is what you will get. Like i say, it's rendered from the in game engine. It's obvious. Clear to see, as you will see once you play the game.

"Assassin's Creed III is powered by Ubisoft-AnvilNext, a revolutionary new game engine that delivers breakthroughs in visual quality, character models and artificial intelligence. Assassin's Creed III will feature a ground-breaking level of stunning graphics that bring Colonial America to life"

Lord Stafford.
    The world or nothing.

The cinematic trailer does not contain any gameplay footage, although it does give a good idea of the new features coming to the game. Namely, we see the game's huge and untamed frontier area, said to be bigger than Assassin's Creed Revolution's entire map, as well as a glimpse at the chaotic battlefields of the American Revolutionary War.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-05-assassins-creed-3-trailer-blow-by-blow-analysis

Did i ever say that? Read what i said again, and then come back to me after reading 'although it does give a good idea...'

Lord Stafford.
    The world or nothing.

edited March 2012
    Take it as an 'in game engine cutscene' and you will know what i mean.

Lord Stafford.
    The world or nothing.

Did i ever say that? Read what i said again, and then come back to me after reading 'although it does give a good idea...'

Lord Stafford.
    I know what you mean, but you're saying that this animation was rendered in the game's engine. Most CG trailers are not done like that. Actually, some animation companies are hired for this kind of video.

I think the best way to settle this out is comparing this trailer with the one from Revelations, the difference is clear.

Lord Stafford.

I know what you mean, but you're saying that this animation was rendered in the game's engine. Most CG trailers are not done like that. Actually, some animation companies are hired for this kind of video.

Exactly. Most. This wasn't one of those 'animations'

I am saying that that this trailer was rendered in the game's engine, mainly because it is. I have posted a link to 45 images, and one of those separately. Like Hess says, the difference is clear. And like i say, it's obvious. I also posted a quote that makes mention of the new game engine and it's capabilities. Would you deny it if you were watching the Uncharted 3 trailer for the first time?

Lord Stafford.
    The world or nothing.

edited March 2012

Just look at this model of Connor. That is an in game model. The comparison between this and Ezio in all of his game trailers is tremendous. IGN confirm what i say.

Lord Stafford.
    The world or nothing.

Yes, i read that on Wikipedia, of all things. No, that is natural. Since he is a voice actor, i can see that indeed being the case.

Lord Stafford.
    The world or nothing.

• BaneBane Posts: 9,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to Gamestop and preorder this thing to get a steelbook.

Thing is, you get the steelbook NOW. It's sitting very beautifully in my living room.
  • NickNick Posts: 20,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm holding out to see if theres a good collectors edition.
  • HP_MEHP_ME Posts: 20
    bring me the fucking game right now. don't want to wait till October 31 :(

“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” - Albus Dumbledore

Go to Gamestop and preorder this thing to get a steelbook.

Thing is, you get the steelbook NOW. It's sitting very beautifully in my living room.
    It's only available in the US, isn't it?

Lord Stafford.
    The world or nothing.

I'm holding out to see if theres a good collectors edition.
    There will be. If you go to the Ubi shop, in red lettering, it says that more details about a collectors edition will be released by the end of March.

Lord Stafford.
    The world or nothing.

bring me the fucking game right now. don't want to wait till October 31 :(
    Well, dependent upon where you are, you might only have to wait until the 30th. ;)

Lord Stafford.
    The world or nothing.

HP_ME said:
    bring me the fucking game right now. don't want to wait till October 31

Well, dependent upon where you are, you might only have to wait until the 30th.

Lord Stafford.

:P

“Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” - Albus Dumbledore

So, where are you? As in, where do you reside?

Lord Stafford.
    The world or nothing.

Here you go, Martin.

Lord Stafford.
    The world or nothing.

@Lord Stafford i'm from india !

New Info, from the demo.

When we first meet Connor, he's perched on a tree in the middle of a thick, snow-covered forest. This is the Frontier; a vast area of countryside that connects the game's two main cities, Boston and New York. It's bigger than the entirety of Brotherhood's Rome, and densely packed with trees, mountains, rivers, camps, and forts.

Developer Tommy François is controlling our hands-off demo - running in real-time on PS3 - and he spins the camera around, showing off Connor's hyper-detailed character model.

Ubisoft Montreal's costume design has always been impeccable, and Assassin's Creed III is no different. Connor's military coat is pure 18th Century colonial chic, and colourful patterns on his bow and quiver hint at his Native American ancestry. We also notice a flintlock pistol tucked into a holster, and a tomahawk (shaped like the iconic Assassins symbol) hanging from his belt.Connor begins to move through the forest, and the animation is stunning. He leaps between trees effortlessly, ducking under low-hanging branches, and edging through narrow gaps in the foliage. To reach higher ground, he'll sometimes leap from a tree to a nearby rock face and ****ber up. Ubisoft hired professional climbers to make the animations as authentic as possible, and it shows.

François drops from the trees briefly to show us the new snow effects. Some areas are covered in a light powder that you can run through without any problems, but when it gets deeper, your movement is impaired. Connor slows down as he struggles through a waist-high drift, carving a trail behind him. It isn't just for show, either; you'll be able to follow footprints to hunt down assassination targets.

Lord Stafford.
    The world or nothing.

WILD BEASTS

It's always quicker to travel through the trees - and safer. As Connor treks through the snow, we hear an almighty roar. A black bear, twice his size, rears up and flashes its claws. It's about to come crashing down on Connor, but before it gets the chance, he flicks out his hidden blade and plunges it into the beast's heart, killing it.

The Frontier is crawling with wildlife. Animals can be hunted and harvested for resources, like meat and pelts. François made a point of telling us that Ubisoft had come up with this idea long before it appeared in Red Dead Redemption, and there are a few differences. Unlike Rockstar's game, the value of materials is affected by how you kill your prey. If you shoot a deer with a musket rifle, its pelt will be damaged, and it'll lose some of its value. But if you use a blade to perform a 'clean' kill, the skin will be worth a lot more.

With the bear dealt with, Connor continues through the forest. He approaches a sheer cliff and begins to climb. The way he reaches for outcrops and footholds to pull himself up looks impressively natural. When we reach the top, we're treated to a dazzling vista that stretches for miles. The view's made even more spectacular by the new, minimalist HUD; the top of the screen's now entirely menu-free, while health and ammo counts are incorporated into the mini-map and weapon icons respectively, GTA-style. François assures us that everything we see can be explored. In the distance we can make out a tall mountain, a winding river, what looks like a small town, and an endless sea of trees. It makes the rural sections of Assassin's Creed II look laughably tiny.

Suddenly, the quiet ambience of the forest is interrupted by the sound of thundering drums and flutes. Below, a platoon of American soldiers are making their way down a dirt road, led by a marching band. At the back of the group, two soldiers pull a cart filled with hay - which can only mean one thing in an Assassin's Creed game.

Connor skips from the top of the cliff onto a nearby tree and positions himself above the convoy. When the cart passes, he dives into it. François tells us that these new moving 'leaps of faith' might look simple, but are incredibly difficult to program. Safely hidden in the hay, the camera pulls back and we see that the soldiers are marching towards the city of Boston. But just as we get a tantalising glimpse of the enormous city, the screen fades to black.

Lord Stafford.
    The world or nothing.

CROWD CONTROL

Assassin's Creed III takes place between the years 1753 and 1783, and the next part of our demo appears to be set several months after, or before, our trip through the snowy forest. We're in Boston, and it's the height of summer. This is our first glimpse of the AnvilNext engine's new crowd tech, which allows up to 2,000 characters to appear on screen at once. The city is teeming with life, and we're stunned by the way NPCs interact with Connor, and each other.

A salesman walks alongside us, excitedly hawking his wares, before giving up and wandering back to his stall. A dapper gentlemen saunters past, spinning his cane and whistling, and bids us good day. A lady drops a crate of apples, and a street urchin runs past and steals one. An inquisitive dog barks at us. This all happens in real-time as you walk through the city, and it's brilliantly immersive. The term 'living, breathing world' is seriously overused by developers of open world games, but in this case, it's warranted. Connor's journey is interrupted when he stumbles into a checkpoint guarded by British soldiers. They immediately recognise him, and enter alert mode. Rather than stay and fight, Connor pushes through the guards and makes a run for it. He sprints down a wide street, leaping over market stalls, swinging on tree branches, and skipping across a moving horse and cart. He climbs a tall tree and swings on a branch towards a building. The window shutters swing open, and a woman shrieks in panic. Connor jumps through the window, rushes through the woman's house, and emerges on the other side. It's a thrilling, dynamic chase sequence, and from what we can tell, totally unscripted.

François tells us that the streets of Boston are historically accurate, but that some artistic liberties had to be taken for gameplay reasons. When they realised that Boston's main streets were huge and wide (unlike the winding streets of previous settings), they had to place trees in the middle to give players a way of crossing them without dropping to street level. When the chase is over, Connor climbs a church tower and we see the city in its entirety. In the distance, black smoke fills the sky; a reminder that we're in the midst of a brutal war.

Lord Stafford.
    The world or nothing.

WAR GAMES

After another fade to black, the final part of our demo begins. This time we're at Bunker Hill in 1775, in the thick of one of the American Revolution's most famous battles. Connor's mission is to assassinate a British general, which would be easy if he wasn't in a camp protected by 2,000 musket-wielding soldiers. Of everything we've seen in the demo so far, this is the most impressive, and the most unlike previous Assassin's Creed games. The scale of the battle is dizzying, and you really do feel like you're in the middle of a raging conflict.

Rather than skirt around the edges, Connor charges head-first into the battle. As the British and the Americans fire their muskets back and forth, he slips through the chaos, dodging cannon balls. He waits for the British to fire, then pushes forward while they reload, which takes a few seconds. In reality it took upwards of a minute to reload a musket, but François says they had to shorten it to make the sequence more fun. After a dangerous dash through the battlefield, Connor slips into the forest surrounding the enemy camp. The detour into the forest is another chance to show off AC3's fantastic looking animation as Connor ****bers and swings to mount a tree branch. A group of British soldiers approach and the next system we're given a glimpse of is the sequel's revamped combat (Ubisoft hints the game's controls have been totally overhauled).

Connor aims and fires into the first soldier's neck with a new toy, the Rope Dart, which does exactly what its name suggests. Grasping one end of the rope our protagonist drops down from the tree branch, brutally hoisting his target by the neck to hang him from his former perching spot. Our man then shows off another combat addition by grabbing a second soldier to hold him as a human shield - useful when armed guards only have a single shot from their near-impossible-to-reload muskets.

Another addition we're told about - but now shown - is a new cover system, including cover assassinations, and a redesigned weapon wheel and only two face ****ons on screen (compared to four) hinting at further changes.

Connor makes quick work of the remaining guards and approaches the enemy camp. Whenever you move through foliage like shrubs or tall grass, Connor automatically crouches. Stealth in general has been vastly improved, and forest environments are full of opportunities to sneak.

Connor skulks through the undergrowth and come across our assassination target. He's on horseback in the middle of the camp, waving his sword and ordering his troops around. Connor bursts out of the bushes, takes out two guards with his tomahawk, and leaps towards him. We cut to a slow-motion cinematic angle of him lunging at the startled general, face twisted with anger, bloody tomahawk primed, and... that's it. There's a final fade to black, and the demo ends.

Lord Stafford.
    The world or nothing.