Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla
Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

The Official News Thread

Comments

• aaronaaron Posts: 20,939 mod
  • HenrickHenrick Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GUYS! Don't text while walking down the street!

image image image
    We'll never be forgiven for what we did.
    Trust me, I'm a Film Grad ;)
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,799 mod
    bahahahaha omg bears are so cute, lmao vicious but cute lmao :3

• XDMorsmordreXDXDMorsmordreXD Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bahahahaha omg bears are so cute, lmao vicious but cute lmao :3
    So are humans, except not all are cute. :\ :-S
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mysterious thing time.
    I'm cute :D :D
    image image image
    HAHAHAHA I wouldn't know how to react if I was the guy lmao
    image image image
    North Korea embarrasses itself again...

PYONGYANG/SEOUL (Reuters) - North Korea said its much hyped long-range rocket launch failed on Friday, in a very rare and embarrassing public admission of failure by the hermit state and a blow for its new young leader who faces international outrage over the attempt.
    The isolated North, using the launch to celebrate the 100th birthday of the dead founding president Kim Il-sung and to mark the rise to power of his grandson Kim Jong-un, is now widely expected to press ahead with its third nuclear test to show its military strength.
    "The possibility of an additional long-range rocket launch or a nuclear test, as well as a military provocation to strengthen internal solidarity is very high," a senior South Korean defense ministry official told a parliamentary hearing.
    The two Koreas are divided by the world's most militarized border and remain technically at war after an armistice ended the Korean War in 1953.
    The United States and Japan said the rocket, which they claimed was a disguised missile test and the North said was to put a satellite into orbit, crashed into the sea after travelling a much shorter distance than a previous North Korean launch.
    Its failure raises questions over the impoverished North's reclusive leadership which has one of the world's largest standing armies but cannot feed its people without outside aid, largely from its only powerful backer, China.
    "(There is) no question that the failed launch turns speculation toward the ramifications for the leadership in Pyongyang: a fireworks display gone bad on the biggest day of the year," said Scott Snyder of the Council on Foreign Relations.
    In a highly unusual move, the North, which still claims success with a 2009 satellite that others say failed, admitted in a state television broadcast seen by its 23 million people that the latest satellite had not made it into orbit.
    The failure is the first major and very public challenge for the third of the Kim dynasty to rule North Korea just months into the leadership of a man believed to be in his late 20s.
    "It could be indication of subtle change in the North Korean leadership in how they handle these things, something that may be different from the past," said Baek Seung-joo of the Korea Institute of Defense Analyses a thinktank affiliated with South Korean Defence Ministry.
    "I mean it would have been unthinkable for them to admit this kind of failure in the past, something that could be seen as an international humiliation. The decision to have come out with the admission had to come from Kim Jong-un."
    Embarrassingly, the rocket flew for just a few minutes covering a little over 100km to explode over a sea separating the Korean peninsula and China, far less than the last rocket in 2009 that travelled 3,800km, alarming Japan which it over-flew.
    The launch is in breach of United Nations Security Council sanctions and drew condemnation from the United States, Russia, South Korea and Japan.
    But North Korea looks to have avoided the threat of fresh U.N. sanctions - which neighbor Japan is pushing for - after Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said that at talks with his Chinese and Indian counterparts they had agreed new sanctions would do nothing to help resolve the situation.
    Regional powers are worried that the North is using launches to perfect technology to enable it to build a missile capable of delivering a nuclear warhead to the United States.
    North Korea has repeatedly defended its right to launch rockets for what it says are peaceful purposes and may have invested hundreds of millions of dollars in the failed launch.
    China, the North's main backer, again appealed for "calm", although its failure to dissuade Pyongyang from undertaking the launch despite propping up the ailing and impoverished state, showed the limitations of its diplomacy, analysts said.
    "North Korea's provocative action threatens regional security, violates international law and contravenes its own recent commitments," White House spokesman Jay Carney said.
    The North American Aerospace Defense Command, NORAD, said the first stage fell into the sea west of South Korea, and the remainder was deemed to have failed.
    "No debris fell on land," NORAD said. "At no time were the missile or the resultant debris a threat."
    CHINA HOLDS KEY DESPITE DIPLOMATIC FAILURE
    The launch came just weeks after a "Leap Year" deal that saw Washington agree to provide food aid. Among the promises Pyongyang made in return was not to launch any long range rocket or undertake nuclear tests.
    There is likely to be pressure from leading countries to impose more sanctions on the North. But it poses difficulties for China which will likely resist further sanctions even though its own diplomacy failed to stop the rocket launch.
    "After giving so much aid to North Korea, it still did not listen to China, and this hurt China-North Korea relations and erodes domestic support in its continued support of North Korea," said Shen Dingli, a professor and regional security expert at Shanghai's Fudan University.
    "This also undermines confidence in the U.S.-China relationship, and whether China had done enough to persuade the North. So, China is also a loser, but not as big a loser as if North Korea succeeded in its launch," he said.
    If the United States, Japan and South Korea do ratchet up pressure on North Korea that could lead to a show of defiance from the North such as a nuclear test, or an attack like the one in 2010 that saw it shell a South Korean island, killing civilians.
    "Rather than any conventional provocation, I think North Korea will watch what U.S. and South Korea are doing and prepare for a nuclear test," said Chung Young-chul, a professor at Sogang University's Graduate School of Public Policy.

I wonder whose kid's party they're at. :-?
    Mysterious thing time.
  • AllStar87AllStar87 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    I know! My dad told me about this. It's unbelievable how his twin brother died of what robin has now.
    edited April 2012
    WOWWWWW What a fucking douchebag, after his wife states publicly that she was a stay at home wife, he makes a comment like this? lol what a douche, how dare he say that about stay at home moms, damn hypocrite lol

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/post/mitt-romney-flashback-stay-at-home-moms-need-to-learn-dignity-of-work/2012/04/15/gIQAhmbZJT_blog.html?wprss=rss_homepage
    Post edited by RyGuy on

• NickNick Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I read that Ry.

According to him, if you're a middle or lower class wife, not working is shameful.

But if you're just an upper class wife, sitting on your ass jackin up millions is a-ok. God I hate Romney, maybe that's why early projections have him like 15% behind Obama.
  • mattStrelowmattStrelow Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GUYS! Don't text while walking down the street!

This made me laugh like really really hard LMAO

• TubbyToastTubbyToast Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this guy... I don't know what to say

http://articles.cnn.com/2010-12-15/world/netherlands.child.abuse.case_1_interpol-sexual-abuse-police-organization?_s=PM:WORLD

It's been on the news for the last few months now and he's playing it like he's a victim. Disturbing.
    Anyways, last time I heard, the number was at least 87 children. Creep.
    My God. That's horrible!
    image image image
  • TubbyToastTubbyToast Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sooo much time and money wasted for and because of this man... if you can call him that
    Oh look, reports finally come out about Zimmerman's bloody head: http://gma.yahoo.com/warning-graphic-photo-possible-evidence-shows-george-zimmermans-050145810--abc-news-topstories.html

You know, not that it wasn't in the original reports.

oh wait, they were?!?!

And it was covered by media crying racism hate?

God i fucking hate the media...
    Pouncing at any opportunity for more viewership. It's sad really. :\
    Mysterious thing time.
    Pouncing at any opportunity for more viewership. It's sad really. :\
    Imagine this country without the media. God it'd be so beautiful.
  • AllStar87AllStar87 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    I know! The bakery he went to was 5 minutes from me hahaha. Those are some of the best damn cookies I've ever had from Bethel Bakery!

edited April 2012
    So a few months ago I hear some friends mention that someone they knew from a friend of a friend was using something called Krokodil (the slang term for the drug), and the individual was using this instead of meth because the rush was better. This just so happens to be a new drug originating in Siberia that, well lets just say the side effects are shown shortly in the second video in the 4 part special on it. It is not being widely talked about in America yet which surprises me, but apparently it was started to be used a year and a half ago and is now spreading. Just wow, the effects it has on people and what it does to the body is sickening. Anyways I forgot about what I heard and was bumping into things online on a forum and came across a thread about this drug and well the pictures were worse than a lot of the gore images Ive seen in my life. This drug rots you out from the inside, making your tissues fall apart, and your flesh to dissipate just from injecting in the wrong area, and even can expose your bones. It can fry the mind, it can make you loose motor skills, and the ability to move diminish completely. It is so disturbing but here was a special on it I wanted to share, and yes it is sad but its beneficial to watch this. Drug abuse is such a sad thing to witness, but this special serves to show what this does in hope that people will not do it. Anyways this drug started in Serbia and districts in Russia, and is now spreading worldwide. Its disgusting but check it out. Also Video Two on this Four parter shows how drastic it reshapes the tissues and organs of the body...its disgusting.

Post edited by RyGuy on

Dear sweet mother of god this video...it goes in with what I just posted...holy fuck this is graphic but shows one man's injuries...its in spoiler tags folks...

Spoiler:

• LizLiz Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, I watched the docu, thanks for posting that. I hadn't heard of that new drug. It's sad that, that city seems to have been forgotten. It's also sad to think about how bad drugs take a hold on people's lives and what it can do to a whole city or country if left to run on it's own without the intervention of the government.
    As for the spoiler video you posted. I was sickened but not because the nature of the video. I was sickened because of the fact that someone was left to have their flesh rot off their bone. Why not just amputate the leg before the bone was exposed rather than wrapping it up in hopes of it getting better. And if it wasn't the medical professionals that allowed that to happened than the people taking care of the person who that happened too than they need to be smacked up side the head for not getting that person to the hospital sooner.
    PYONGYANG, North Korea (AP) — North Korea's military says it will launch "special actions" soon meant to wipe out conservative South Korean President Lee Myung-bak's administration.
    The army statement carried by state media Monday said the actions will last 3 to 4 minutes and be carried out "by unprecedented peculiar means and methods of our own style." It gave no more details.
    North Korea has issued a steady stream of harsh criticism against Lee and his government. Pyongyang says Lee insulted the North's recent celebrations of the birth centennial of national founder Kim Il Sung.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/north-koreas-military-warns-of-special-actions-aimed-at-crushing-rival-souths-leadership/2012/04/23/gIQAljk8aT_story.html

• NickNick Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • aaronaaron Posts: 20,939 mod
    Korean Nuclear War --> World War III -> Global Apocalypse

Time to return to my home planet now! >-)
    imageimageimage
    Guys, have you seen this? The first adult albino/white killer whale was sighted in Russia! Really nice :D

image image image
    I genuinely do not get why this isn't one of the main headlines around the globe...first they make a threat against South Korea saying the attack would last 3-4 minutes and now this? Idk if my mind is telling me one thing, its that maybe they wont be testing this on North Korean soil...
    Exclusive: North Korea's nuclear test ready "soon"

(Reuters) - North Korea has almost completed preparations for a third nuclear test, a senior source with close ties to Pyongyang and Beijing said, an act that would draw further international condemnation following a failed rocket launch.

The isolated and impoverished state sacrificed the chance of closer ties with the United States when it launched the long-range rocket on April 13 and was censured by the U.N. Security Council, which includes the North's sole major ally, China.

Critics say the rocket launch was aimed at honing the North's ability to develop an intercontinental ballistic missile capable of hitting the United States, a move that would dramatically increase its military and diplomatic heft.

Now the North appears to be about to carry out a third nuclear test after two in 2006 and 2009.

"Soon. Preparations are almost complete," the source told Reuters when asked whether North Korea was planning to conduct a nuclear test.

This is the first time a senior official has confirmed the planned test and the source has correctly predicted events in the past, telling Reuters about the 2006 test days before it happened.

The rocket launch and nuclear test come as Kim Jong-un, the third of his line to rule North Korea, seeks to cement his grip on power.

Kim took office in December and has lauded the country's military might, reaffirming his father's "military first" policies that have stunted economic development and appearing to dash slim hopes of an opening to the outside world.

Washington, Seoul and Tokyo, which have most to fear from any North Korean nuclear threat, are watching events anxiously and many observers say that Pyongyang may have the capacity to conduct a test using highly enriched uranium for the first time.

U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, speaking to reporters during a trip to Brasilia, said he had no specific information on whether North Korea would go ahead with a test.

"But I again would strongly urge them not to engage in any kind of provocation - be it nuclear testing or any other act - that would provide greater instability in a dangerous part of the world," he said.

Defense experts say that by successfully enriching uranium, to make bombs of the type dropped on Hiroshima nearly 70 years ago, the North would be able to significantly build up stocks of weapons-grade nuclear material.

It would also allow it more easily to manufacture a nuclear warhead to mount on a long-range missile.

The source did not specify whether the test would be a third test using plutonium, of which it has limited stocks, or whether Pyongyang would use uranium.

South Korean defense sources have been quoted in domestic media as saying a launch could come within two weeks and one North Korea analyst has suggested that it could come as early as the North's "Army Day" on Wednesday.

Other observers say that any date is pure speculation.

The rocket launch and the planned nuclear test have exposed the limits of China's hold over Pyongyang. Beijing is the North's sole major ally and props up the state with investment and fuel.

"China is like a chameleon toward North Korea," said Kim Young-soo, professor of political science at Sogang University in Seoul. "It says it objects to North Korea's provocative acts, but it does not participate in punishing the North."

Reports have suggested that a Chinese company may have supplied a rocket launcher shown off at a military parade to mark this month's centenary of the birth of Kim Il-sung, the state's founder, something that may be in breach of UN sanctions.

China has denied breaching sanctions.

YOUNGEST KIM STILL IN CHARGE DESPITE ROCKET FIASCO

The source said there was debate in North Korea's top leadership over whether to go ahead with the launch in the face of U.S. warnings and the possibility of further U.N. sanctions, but that hawks in the Korean People's Army had won the debate.

The source dismissed speculation that the failed launch had dealt a blow to Kim Jong-un, believed to be in his late 20s, who came to power after his father Kim Jong-il died following a 17-year rule that saw North Korea experience a famine in the 1990s.

"Kim Jong-un was named first secretary of the (ruling) Workers' Party and head of the National Defense Commission," the source said, adding that the titles further consolidated his grip on power.

North Korean media has recently upped its criticism of South Korean President Lee Myung-bak, who cut off aid to Pyongyang when he took power in 2008, calling him a "rat" and a "bastard" and threatening to turn the South Korean capital to ashes.

Pyongyang desperately wants recognition from the United States, the guarantor of the South's security. It claims sovereignty over the entire Korean peninsula, as does South Korea.

"North Korea may consider abandoning (the test) if the United States agrees to a peace treaty," the source said, reiterating a long-standing demand by Pyongyang for recognition by Washington and a treaty to end the 1950-1953 Korean War, which ended in a truce.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/24/us-korea-north-nuclear-idUSBRE83N1DN20120424

Guys... It's unbelievable that this crime still unsolved. The police issued a picture of Madeleine aged 9.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17838052

Madeleine McCann: Police issue image of girl aged nine

---

People might think I'm crazy, but I still believe that the parents are, somehow, involved on this crime.
    image image image
    Mitt Romney is such a fucking dick...

Now watch this considering the last video...

• Pensieve SeekerPensieve Seeker Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭
    Technically, Governor Romney didn't ignore the man in the wheelchair because, if he had done so, then he wouldn't have listened to his question.
    Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Pottermore user name: SilverQuest212
    He didn't answer the question, so yes he ignored the question, aka he ignored him.
    edited April 2012
    He didn't answer the question, so yes he ignored the question, aka he ignored him.
    No, declining to answer a question is not the same as ignoring one.

ETA: I would say the exact same thing if it had been President Obama instead of Governor Romney.

Post edited by Pensieve Seeker on

Technically he did answer the mans first question, however he didn't answer the second one. He just ended up walking away then said he declined to answer before walking away.

The way he talks to people is so incredibly rude...and there are tons of videos out there like this. He even did this on my college campus when he visited. A woman asked a question about birth control and all he said was okay let's move on from this issue next question. I'm sorry but if he's going to avoid Americans who want to hear what he's going to say does that mean he's going to ignore people in office? Will he just continue to change his stance on major issues as he's been doing for decades when he's elected office? Sure Obama hasn't lived up to all the promises he's made but at least he seems to care about people. Lol

A woman asked a question about birth control and all he said was okay let's move on from this issue next question.
    My response to her would have been "Birth control? That's available as a $10 box of condoms at your local pharmacy."

A woman asked a question about birth control and all he said was okay let's move on from this issue next question.

My response to her would have been "Birth control? That's available as a $10 box of condoms at your local pharmacy."
    I would have liked to hear that rather than the way he handled it. I don't think he realizes he has to be courteous to people asking him things. If they take their time to go watch him blabber on he should have the decency to answer the questions they ask him. I find it so rude. Gahh lol

and to be honest I agree with this, I buy my own condoms and havent ever gone to the health department. If I need something I buy it, not ask for handouts lol.

Oh, because condoms are always 100% reliable.

And seriously, what's with you and anally literal responses?

"Oh, he didn't ignore, he just declined to answer. I'm going to make note of this because there's such a giant difference and add on to the list of literal responses to everything."

If he had any sense to be polite he would've given a full answer, but whether he ignored or declined to answer in this situation is the same. I mean, declining was probably worse because he might has well said "yeah we are going to arrest your ass" and he's totally insensitive to the subject. Just legalize weed already, it's already been proven in many other countries legalization eventually results in lower overall use. Besides, this is just medicinal purposes! It's pathetic to not have for medical purposes. Let's put Romney in that situation and see him throw up in a wheelchair and see when he cries whn we throw him in jail for trying to comfort the pain of a disease. Such an ass -_-

One of my favorite videos, and all the facts check out. It isn't an opinion any longer that the war on drugs has failed. It has. You can't throw people in jail and expect them to get clean.

No, condoms are not always 100% reliable, but neither is any other method except for not engaging in sex in the first place.

And seriously, what's with you and anally literal responses?
    I'm a Virgo. It's my nature. :)

No, condoms are not always 100% reliable, but neither is any other method except for not engaging in sex in the first place.

-.-

I wasn't being sarcastic at all.

And I can already see your next comment had I just left it at that:

"Oh you weren't? Good for you?"