Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla
Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

Justice League Movie Thread - Script to be penned by Goyer. MOS 2 also coming

RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,801 mod
edited June 2013 in General
Warner Bros. Makes Justice League Plans
by Silas Lesnick
June 05, 2012

Warner Bros. is making some plans towards the long-awaited Justice League feature film as Variety reports that Gangster Squad screenwriter Will Beall has been brought aboard to provide the screenplay.

Details at this point are currently few, but the enormous success of Marvel's The Avengers no doubt helped pave the way for getting the Distinguished Competition's superhero ensemble a shot at the silver screen.

What remains to be seen is whether or not Warner's film will use any of their standalone superhero projects as jumping off points, building a cohesive cinematic universe the way that Marvel has. It's been hinted that Christopher Nolan's upcoming The Dark Knight Rises will feature a definitive ending for the current version of the big screen Batman character, though Christian Bale has recently suggested that he's not entirely against the notion of further adventures in the cape and cowl.

Next summer's Man of Steel, however, marks a more likely contender to launch an ongoing big screen universe and it's entirely possible that, despite a disappointing box office, last summer's take on Green Lantern couldn't be brought back.

The other possibility is that Warner Bros. might start from scratch, as was the plan several years ago when George Miller was attached to direct a motion-capture Justice League feature.

Whatever the case may be, check back for details as soon they become available and, in the meantime, take a look at our list of 11 Characters We Want to See in a Justice League Movie.

Post edited by RyGuy on

Comments

• RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,801 mod
    edited June 2012
    i predict epic fail
    I predict the exact oposite! :-bd

Justice League > Avengers
    Post edited by RyGuy on

• Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Green Lantern was a fail. Superman Returns was good, but nothing more than thy. I'm not the the Zach Snyder guy, so idk about the new film yet.

Let's just say there's a lot of work to be done. It can definitely be amazing and badass, but it's going to take some time.

One condition: no aquaman. Otherwise I refuse :p
    From a non film point of view and just based on their characters, I like the Avengers characters more. Always really have tbh, just my opinion though.
    Epic! I agree @ryguy Justice League> Avengers
    haha yessss :)
    Green Lantern was a fail. Superman Returns was good, but nothing more than thy. I'm not the the Zach Snyder guy, so idk about the new film yet.

Let's just say there's a lot of work to be done. It can definitely be amazing and badass, but it's going to take some time.

One condition: no aquaman. Otherwise I refuse :p
    My personal hope is they go with the John Stewart Green Lantern, Make Aquaman into a badass with a sweet costume, I hope to god they include Martian Manhunter. He is such an awesome character. The one I dont wanna see is Hawkman or Hawkgirl...lol two of the goofiest characters around lol. Flash I am excited to see haha

From a non film point of view and just based on their characters, I like the Avengers characters more. Always really have tbh, just my opinion though.
    See I'm vice versa. I like the Justice League better based on the characters, morals, looks, history. What I find funny is that Justice League was started up in 1960 and then Avengers in 1963 lolol Those sneaky Marvel thieves haha

• GodricGryffindorGodricGryffindor Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avengers>Justice League
    In my opinion.

Batman and Superman are
    some of the best superheroes
    out there, but that's it.
    They're the only redeemable ones,
    in my eyes. Green Lantern is cool
    but we all know how that turned out.

G.G.
    I guess what I'm trying to say
    is that "The Avengers", as a whole,
    are a lot less cheesy than Justice League.

G.G.
    Back in March of 2011 Warner Bros. president Jeff Robinov expressed interest in bringing DC’s heroes together on the big screen in a Justice League movie. Now, according to a report from Variety, we’ve learned that this project may be further along than we thought.

While Disney and Marvel were busy shooting “The Avengers” last year, Warner Brothers quietly began getting its own all-star superhero pic back on track, tapping “Gangster Squad” scribe Will Beall to write “Justice League,” based on the WB-controlled stable of DC Comics superheroes. Beall has yet to turn in his “Justice League” script, though he has become a favorite scribe of Warners.

You may remember that in 2007 George Miller signed on to direct a live action Justice League film. Characters were cast, costumes were designed, and story boards were completed. The film never took off though, and it was canceled about a year later. It’ll be interesting to see how things pan out this time around.

Read more: http://batman-news.com/2012/06/05/will-beall-to-write-justice-league-movie-reports-variety/#ixzz1wz1yTsxn

BTW, those are my thoughts right now.
    The movie may turn out to be quite awesome, who knows?

G.G.
    Avengers>Justice League
    In my opinion.

Batman and Superman are
    some of the best superheroes
    out there, but that's it.
    They're the only redeemable ones,
    in my eyes. Green Lantern is cool
    but we all know how that turned out.

G.G.
    haha you don't like Wonder Woman?!? I have never understood why shes never got her own movie haha

Who cares about previous films. I'm talking about comic-wise. Justice League > Avengers. Flash will be super epic. HOPEFULLY this isn't a flop, as I think said film could be revolutionary to the Superhero scene.
    Agreed 110%. The League has an awesome roster no matter who they choose to be in it. Me thinks some people are jumping to conclusions rather quickly before a script is even final haha

edited June 2012
    I guess what I'm trying to say
    is that "The Avengers", as a whole,
    are a lot less cheesy than Justice League.

G.G.
    omg I just seen this...woah woah what?!

Okay what is cheesier...

This...

or this hahaha

to be honest idk The reason I like the DC Heroes better, that mainly end up in JL, is because they seem edgier and a lot more realistic. Plus Superman could take each of the Avengers on and kill them all if he wanted to hahaha :P
    Post edited by RyGuy on

Okay, I don't think we're gonna get far if you try and talk about realism in comics, lolll :p
  • GredWeasleyGredWeasley Posts: 236 ✭✭
    It's going to be hard to capture the darkness of the Batman movies and still have some sort of humor in it. The Avengers> Justice League
    This is what a wasted moment looks like.
  • Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avengers without Spiderman/The X-Men means NOTHING to me.

Im a fan of Aquaman BTW can't wait for that film if it's made.

If you include Spidey and the X-Men into the Avengers then I think it's equal with the Justice League. Especially if we're not using Nolan's interpretation of Batman, then I'll take the weight Spidey brings over them all.

Personally I'll take Kingpin > Ras Al Ghul
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

Spiderman's villains are by far the best in the marvelverse outside of Magneto..

Same for Batman as far as the DCverse is concerned.
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

I'll have to agree on that.
    Batman has, by far, the best
    set of villains in the DCVerse.

G.G.
  • RichardRichard Posts: 48,595 mod
    Batman Villains over Spidey Villains. Not by much though.
  • silverarrowgriffinsilverarrowgriffin Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want Justice League movie :O and I don't want any of the hawk people lol. I love the Flash :D
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Different universes, though.
    Batman has the best villains in the DCVerse,
    while Spidey has the best ones in the Marvel Verse.

G.G.

Different universes, though.
    Batman has the best villains in the DCVerse,
    while Spidey has the best ones in the Marvel Verse.

G.G.
    couldn't be more true! In my opinion they both have a spectacular set of villains that really cant compare to most. On a second tier I would say Superman and Iron Man have some awesome villians. Ive always liked Lex Luthor, Brainiac, and Darkseid. As for Iron Man, Mandarin, Crimson Dynamo, and Titanium Man.

I sincerely hope that they do the gray suit Batman in the Justice League movie. I would even like to see Joker as a villain working with Lex Luthor and some others haha but honestly its too early to speculate. I'd just like to see one true to the comics gray suited Batman once haha

As for the Batman rogues gallery...

I just love this image here from Alex Ross...

and this...

and this incredibly sad one of Alfred : /

Wow. That painting of Alred is amazing. Love it
    dude google image search "Alex Ross DC" he has done in my opinion some of the most definitive looks of classic DC heroes. He is stunning. He does a type of watercolor for each image with a type of paint called guache. Hes a boss at what he does :D

• aaronaaron Posts: 20,939 mod
    I'm thinking someone should paint an updated cover with Michael Caine. :P
    imageimageimage
    Batman - Superman - Wonderwoman - Flash - Aquaman

Vs

Lex Luther - The Joker

So we all know that Warner Bros. is going ahead with a Justice League film, right? No surprises there. All we know though is that the film is currently in the scripting phase and it will attempt to bring a whole handful of superheroes together on screen, similar to what Marvel did with The Avengers.

After the news broke, the big question on everyone’s mind was whether these heroes would get standalone films, like Marvel did with their characters. Today, we have our answer.

Variety is reporting that Warner Bros. will indeed be giving each hero their own film. The studio is working on movies for Aquaman, The Flash, Green Arrow, Lobo, The Suicide Squad and Shazam.

Admittedly, we knew about some of these already but this is the first update that we’ve received in quit a while and it confirms that the studio still plans to go ahead with the above mentioned films.

As for Green Lantern, the studio is still undecided as to whether they should bring Ryan Reynolds back.

Apparently Warner Bros. is looking to Marvel for inspiration and “it is important for them to find the right creatives who understand the characters in the same way Joss Whedon so clearly did with Marvel’s The Avengers.”

The article also goes onto mention that the studio is currently looking at ways to reboot the Batman franchise now that Christopher Nolan is done with it. Good luck with that one guys!

On that note, Warner has also put “increasingly more control of its DC films in Nolan’s hands.” Does this mean that Nolan may somehow be involved with some of these other superheroes? I wouldn’t doubt it. Although now that he’s done with the Batman films, he may need a break from the superhero universe.

Only time will tell but either way, Warner Brothers has some very ambitious and exciting plans ahead of them and as a fan of the superhero genre, I really hope that it works out just as well as it did for Marvel.

Ew, aquaman. Fuck.
    Blasphemy! That's my most anticipated!

BULLSHIT
    BULLSHIT
    BULLSHIT

If you hate sHellfish then you're gonna hate what I have in store for you!

• RichardRichard Posts: 48,595 mod
    awesome, NO RYAN PLEASE THOUGH. START FROM SCRATCH!
  • JoshieJoshie Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just dont cut out any of the good superheroes in this one

*cough* AVENGERS, SPIDERMAN *cough*
    Movies seen in 2014
    Wolf of Wall Street - B- [1/2/14]
    Lone Survivor - A+ [1/17/14]
    Jack Ryan - C+ [1/20/14]
    Ride Along - A-[1/24/14]
    Anchorman 2 - B-[1/24/14]
    Robocop - B+ [2/14/14]
    I saw an article about Yates possibly directing JLA movie :S
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Warner Bros. zeroes in on heroes.
    Studio preps 'Justice League,' eyes other DC faves for bigscreen. By Marc Graser, Dave McNary.

With the Batman trilogy winding down and Superman returning to theaters next summer, plans to put more of DC Comics' superheroes on the bigscreen are coming together nearly 3 years after Warner Bros. took back control of characters. This week, the studio revealed it tapped Gangster Squad scribe Will Beall to revive Justice League which WB unplugged in 2008 and hired Michael Goldenberg (one of the many writers of Green Lantern) to pen Wonder Woman.

Those projects now join in development films based on the Flash, Aquaman, Green Arrow, Lobo, the Suicide Squad and Shazam. DC and WB are also facing a decision on how to reboot Batman once The Dark Knight Rises completes Christopher Nolan's take on the caped crusader, featuring Christian Bale in the cowl.

Studio is figuring out whether to bring back Ryan Reynolds as the Green Lantern in a sequel to last year's actioner or relaunch the character in a completely new way. Goldenberg (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix) was brought on board in 2010 to write the screenplay for the sequel, a year before the first film bowed.

Of course, those are nice problems to have. As Marvel Studios has proved, successful superhero pics can boost the bottomline of every division at a studio through homevideo releases, videogames, consumer products and licensed merchandise, TV and online shows and theme park attractions.

To better exploit DC's characters, Warner Bros. relaunched the comicbook company as DC Entertainment in 2009 and put Harry Potter franchise steward Diane Nelson at the helm. She reports directly to studio chief Jeff Robinov. At the time, Robinov and Nelson halted development of all films tied to DC characters, taking them back from producers like Charles Roven, Joel Silver and Dan Lin and aimed to start from scratch.

DC's more focused approach to manage its heroes already has been felt across Warner Bros.

• On TV, the company launched programming block DC Nation on Cartoon Network with new Green Lantern and Young Justice animated series. CW is bringing a
    live-action take on Green Arrow to primetime in the fall with Arrow, which is notably darker than the net's previous DC staple, Smallville.

• Direct-to-homevid titles have sold well, with Superman vs. The Elite and Flashpoint" forthcoming.

• Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment has scored with its dark and gritty Batman: Arkham Asylum and Batman: Arkham City games, as well as its lighter, funnier Lego: Batman titles. WBIE used this week's Electronic Entertainment Expo videogame confab to unveil fighting game Injustice: Gods Among Us, featuring DC's heroes and villains and a Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition for the new Nintendo Wii U console, out this fall.

• Meanwhile, Warner Bros. Consumer Products shelled out considerable coin to expand its rights to the classic 1960s Batman TV series to launch new lines of merchandise featuring the show's characters, while brokering deals to unleash a slew of products around next summer's Superman actioner, Man of Steel, which the studio hopes will launch a new franchise.

• And its comicbook division relaunched all of its 52 books last year, with new storylines and art, to boost sales and attract a new readership, especially through digital platforms.

With Harry Potter having ended its run, WB is clearly turning to DC to help launch new franchises.

But the studio is being especially careful with the characters now after the disappointing perf of Green Lantern, which earned nearly $220 million at the worldwide box office last year.

According to sources close to the development process, the studio learned that when making a superhero pic, it needs to tap creatives that genuinely understand the characters the way Joss Whedon was comfortable with The Avengers.
    DC execs are excitedly discussing all of the projects in motion with the major exception of its films.

The main reason: Christopher Nolan. With the filmmaker having relaunched Batman (last installment, The Dark Knight, hauled in $1 billion globally, now surpassed by The Avengers) and producing Superman pic Man of Steel, directed by Zack Snyder, WB has increasingly put more control of its DC films in Nolan's hands.

That's similar to how WB entrusted producer David Heyman with all eight "Harry Potter" films.

Nolan has long preferred not to talk about his projects until their release, preserving some of that movie magic for the bigscreen.

It's why only one image of Henry Cavill as Superman has been released so far, with the first official footage of Man of Steel likely to play at Comic-Con in San Diego next month.

Warner Bros. isn't expected to make any concrete moves on the DC film front until after the third Batpic opens on July 20. Putting so much power in Nolan's hands is an interesting move, especially as the filmmaker does not have a
    first-look deal at the studio. Still, WB is showing signs of veering into adventurous creative territory.

In a departure from normal comicbook-based fare, Suicide Squad, for example, concentrates on a group of incarcerated supervillains, well known and unknown, rather than the usual focus on superheroes.

The Dark Knight Rises helmer Nolan is expected to be asked to bring DC Comics' Justice League to the screen.

After the success of The Avengers, and with huge outings for Batman and Superman in the coming months, it was only to be expected that Warner Bros would be eager to get a DC comics’ Justice League movie to the screens, and it seems they have current Batman helmer Chris Nolan in their sights to lead up the project.

Nolan is rounding off his Batman trilogy with The Dark Knight Rises next month and is already involved as Exec Producer on Man of Steel. He also unofficially worked on the proposal for Man Of Steel to help get the movie up and running after a number of similar pitches fell flat.

Nolan is currently a blue-eyed boy at the WB studios, so the likelihood of a Justice League project being put in his hands is almost certain considering his involvement in the other superhero movies of the moment.

According to Variety, Man Of Steel is set to be first in a series of movies that would lead to the Justice League, including another outing for The Green Lantern, and fresh takes on The Flash and Wonder Woman in the offing.

It is thought that more concrete information will be coming to the fore in the coming months once The Dark Knight Rises finishes its cinema run.

Variety said, “Warner Bros. isn’t expected to make any concrete moves on the DC film front until after the third Batpic opens on July 20. Putting so much power in Nolan’s hands is an interesting move — especially as the filmmaker does not have a first-look deal at the studio.”

• yonythemoonyyonythemoony Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since that Nolan is involved with Superman, he could be on charge of the Justice League. And from what it says, Man On Steel will be the first of the films that will pave the way for Justice League.
    Is it just me, or are they getting way ahead of themselves?

They still have to make Superman films and the other 4 or so that are being made. Plus, they have to reboot Batman in a way. It's pretty sloppy, loll, they need to slooooooow it down. There shouldn't be a Justice League film for another 4 or 5 years if each of those heroes have their own movie.
    They really should have added in another hero for next summer. Yeah there's Superman but they need as much pop culture coverage in as few years as possible to build up to the Justice League...or forget the origins, have Superman meet the other heroes after the credits or something and then do Justice League...WB should have started this all years ago like they wanted to but with Nolan creating his own thing with Batman it was tricky...it's hard to have two different versions of the same thing showing at once lol the stupid moviegoer populus wouldn't know what to think lol

It really is, loll. Marvel had it all set up from the start but WB nows just wants to cash on the Avengers stride, loll, which is what they should do of course, but it's messy :p
  • Lord_DarkeyesLord_Darkeyes Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭✭
    So, we're planning that the new batman after Bale will be the one in this movie, along with Ryan Reynolds and Henry Cavill?
    image image image

Throughout the day we have been posting news about the new Justice League movie.

Now we are here to reveal all we have been told!

Previous articles include news on the Man of Steel spearheading the DC shared movie universe, the new Batman, and Ryan Reynolds reprising as Green Lantern — all of which you can read about below. Comic Book writer Mark Millar has also commented on the Justice League Movie script which you can read about here.

Here we go:

• Our source tells us that the major developments are underway at DC Entertainment — and the Man of Steel will spearhead it all.

• The Man of Steel will be chapter #1 of a shared universe, it will all bend around that film.

• In chronological terms, the Man of Steel is the first.

• Henry Cavill will be given a new contract after Man of Steel that would probably include a pay raise along with his new terms that feature the Justice League film and subsequent sequels.

• Lobo will be the second movie after Man of Steel, and is said to take place off Earth and won't affect any of the other films.

• The Flash and Wonder Woman (Nicolas Winding Refn is expected to be directing) scripts will be spin-offs from the Justice League film that should be released summer 2014/2015, and The Flash will be rewritten to fit around events that will transpire in Justice League.

• Ryan Reynolds will be expected to reprise his role as Green Lantern, and the events that transpired in his film - although they won't be ignored in the Justice League Movie, they won't be acknowledged either. It will sort of be hints to his backstory, and the character will be more serious than in the solo film (more like how he was towards the end of the film).

• The Green Lantern sequel has a treatment but the situation is unclear. It most likely will be brought to a stage where it is near getting the green light, and will be held there until things become clearer where that franchise is headed.

• The rebooted Batman film (won't be an origin story, but will focus on a Batman who is entering his second year as a hero) will be a part of the same universe.

• The details plot wise for the Justice League Movie are unknown, but a couple comic book writers have penned the treatment that Will Beall will be scripting.

• Christopher Nolan won't be directing the Justice League Movie.

• There aren't any directors set for the Justice League Movie yet, although a shortlist has been drawn up (Matt Reeves, Jonathan Liebsman, David Yates are rumoured within WB) by the execs.

• The budget for the Justice League Movie will be around $270 million.

• DC are looking to release 2 films a year. So expect something like this:

Man of Steel (2013) Zack Snyder; David Goyer & Christopher Nolan; HenryCavill

Lobo (2014) Brad Peyton; TBA

Justice League (2015) TBA;

The Batman (2016)

Wonder Woman (2016) TBA (Most Likely Nicolas Winding Refn); Michael Goldenburg

The Flash (2017) TBA; Greg Berlanti, Marc Gruggenheim & Michael Green; TBA

Update:

• The Justice League movie is David Yates' to lose; he is the heavy favorite to become director of the movie.

• The look of the film will not be as colorful or as bright as Marvel's The Avengers — which looked like a comic book in real life.

• The Justice League Movie will look like an epic blockbuster film in tone with The Dark Knight Trilogy and Man of Steel, which is something Warner Bros. is keen on — to avoid similarities with The Avengers.

• Christopher Nolan is "godfathering" the project from a distance, meaning more or less Warner Bros. went to him and asked his opinions and how he would he do things.

• Christopher Nolan may well be credited as an Executive Producer on the film with wife Emma Thomas.

• aaronaaron Posts: 20,939 mod
    Justice League...David Yates?! :O
    yes yes yes! Rumors have been flying around for weeks :3

Instantly more interested!

And I thank WB for going a different direction than Marvel did. Marvel made individual movies then brought them together, while WB looks to show them together and then separate them. At least they're trying something different.

Before I thought they were rushing and going crazy, but if this is their plan to do it backwards, then that's fine with me.

And the thought of Yates, fuck yes!!!