Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla
Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

Severus Snape

SarahElizabeth!SarahElizabeth! Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2012 in General
What is your opinion on Severus Snape?

Severus Snape

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.
Photobucket

Comments

• XDMorsmordreXDXDMorsmordreXD Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    I thoroughly enjoy the character that Jo Rowling wrote, but I don't like him as a person. One chapter doesn't change what he's done. He only came to the good side because of his selfish love for Lily.
    Exactly what I feel about him. He's an anti-hero, and he's awful to people. There's no denying his bravery, but I don't think he's a good person.
    Post edited by XDMorsmordreXD on
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mysterious thing time.
  • SarahElizabeth!SarahElizabeth! Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭✭
    I thoroughly enjoy the character that Jo Rowling wrote, but I don't like him as a person. One chapter doesn't change what he's done. He only came to the good side because of his selfish love for Lily.
    I'm glad you agree with me. Most teenage girls I know agree with the second one, "OMGEE HE LOVED LILY SO CUTEEEE THEY ARE MEANT TO BE FUCK THAT DOUCHE JAMES LILY WAS SEV'S FIRST I WANT THAT"
    It irritates me beyond words.
    Photobucket
    Me too. I highly doubt that's what J.K Rowling intended it to be like, :)) . It's good that everyone formulated an opinion on him, even after the Princes Tale, but I agree, "OMG HE LOVED LILY," is so irritating.
    Mysterious thing time.
    I was called stupid when I told a girl that I don't like Snape. ):
    There were many people in the series who were in love with another, but I don't base my opinion on them on the fact that they can feel love. Everyone can, except Voldemort. It isn't a series about romance.
    Photobucket

There were many people in the series who were in love with another, but I don't base my opinion on them on the fact that they can feel love. Everyone can, except Voldemort. It isn't a series about romance.

Exactly! God, "Always" irritates the hell out of me.
    Mysterious thing time.
  • RichardRichard Posts: 48,607 mod
    I feel horrible for him. He didn't deserve anything that he went through. :(
    I think the one I chose is the closest of how I feel about snape out of those.
  • Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 26,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Snape! He was a good guy all along. He saved Harry.
    To me, he was simply misguided. That, and misdirected by Lord Voldemort. It's easy for me to see how he was swayed by the dark side. The darkness is a strong ally for those who feel like they need it. Snape was jealous of Lily and James, and took that decision. I imagine he didn't take it lightly. He made Lord Voldemort promise, after all.

Lord Stafford.
  • Potter35Potter35 Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭✭
    I salute his bravery. That is another thing that I am not a fan of him. But he had a strong personality. But still somehow he took revenge of James behavior from Harry. Not a dangerous revenge though. He tried to treat him like James treated Him. That's all what I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If wasn't for his love for Lily, I doubt he would leave the Dark Lord and the death Eaters.
    image image image
    We'll never be forgiven for what we did.
    Trust me, I'm a Film Grad ;)

Exactly! God, "Always" irritates the hell out of me.
    It's gotten out of hand, that's for sure. I hate when people say that they want to be loved like Snape loved Lily. So you'd enjoy that some guy is obsessed with you despite the fact that you friend-zoned him? You two would never be together? He called you a derogatory term? He will bully your future child out of resentment for the man you chose? How charming. (:
    Photobucket
  • Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always.

Alligators gobna alligator.
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

• echomagic650echomagic650 Posts: 175 ✭✭
    I feel horrible for him. He didn't deserve anything that he went through. :(
    I feel awful for Snape, and don't think he deserved his lot in life. I don't approve of all the choices he made, but I am glad that he atoned for those that he could. I definitely don't agree with his methods and treatment of Harry, in the end he was petty, and bitter, but ultimately not that bad of a guy.
    "That wand's more trouble than it's worth," said Harry. "And quite honestly," he turned away from the painted portraits, thinking now only of the four-poster bed lying waiting for him in Gryffindor Tower, and wondering whether Kreacher might bring him a sandwich there, "I've had enough trouble for a lifetime."
    -Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, page 749

"Whether you come back by page, or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home” - J.K. Rowling
    Anyone else wanna vote? (:
    Photobucket
  • BraveheartBraveheart Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    From what little we know of James, I feel as if he actually mirrors Snape in many ways. I know we're told a couple of times that he repented of his arrogant douchey ways, but I'm not sure I really believe it. James was just born into much more fortunate circumstance than Snape. If you strip away their background, their personalities actually seem pretty similar. Maybe that's why they dislike each other so much.
    Post edited by Braveheart on
    I think our view of James is mainly distorted by Snape's memories. They are his afterall. Everyone else said James was a stand-up man and I believe it.
    Photobucket

I think our view of James is mainly distorted by Snape's memories. They are his afterall. Everyone else said James was a stand-up man and I believe it.

Everyone else being his own friends. I seriously doubt Sirius and Lupin would have told Harry anything but that his father had reformed, if only to give him comfort. :P

The only times we ever see James in the books are when he's dead or being a privileged little dick, so I find it hard to stomach this "oh he suddenly became lovely" stuff.

Everyone else being his own friends. I seriously doubt Sirius and Lupin would have told Harry anything but that his father had reformed, if only to give him comfort. :P

The only times we ever see James in the books are when he's dead or being a privileged little dick, so I find it hard to stomach this "oh he suddenly became lovely" stuff.
    People remember memories incorrectly or exaggerate the retelling of them. I believe it could have been possible that it was a hyperbole. I am not saying James never did anything mean. Snape/James were equal to Draco/Harry.

Also, other people said James was a good man, not just Sirius and Lupin. He was a good man. He stood up for what was right and protected his family with every once of strength and magic he could. Just like Harry, he bent the rules, but still did good things.
    Photobucket
    The only other person I remember praising Harry's father was Hagrid, but then he said in the same speech that James was Head Boy in his day so I don't rely on that.

Snape did good things too. In fact, Snape did some pretty amazing things. Both men ultimately stood up for what was right, and both were, to the best of our knowledge, heavily flawed. I'd like to have seen more of James in the series as an adult, to see just how he had changed, but sadly by the nature of the books, we were never going to get that.
    Ditto on seeing more of James

In my opinion, Snape only did what he did in vain. He was still in love with a woman who is dead and did not want her death to be pointless. I think that if Lily/James/Harry weren't a possibility in the prophecy, Snape would have still been a DE.
    Photobucket
  • RustyBonesRustyBones Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    He's an evil bastard and I am happy that he died.
    Guy was a rat, not a snake.