Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla
Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

Chaos Walking Trilogy

HenrickHenrick Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2012 in Books

So here I am again guys, with another book/series recommendation for all of you. Don't read the synopsis of the #2 or #3 if you haven't read the novel.

#1 Book
THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO

Synopsis: Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in an overwhelming, never-ending stream of Noise. Just a month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd and his dog, Manchee -- whose thoughts Todd can hear too, whether he wants to or not -- stumble upon an area of complete silence. They find that in a town where privacy is impossible, something terrible has been hidden -- a secret so awful that Todd and Manchee must run for their lives. But how do you escape when your pursuers can hear your every thought?

#2 Book
THE ASK AND THE ANSWER

Synopsis: We were in the square, in the square where I'd run, holding her, carrying her, telling her to stay alive, stay alive till we got safe, till we got to Haven so I could save her - But there weren't no safety, no safety at all, there was just him and his men... Fleeing before a relentless army, Todd has carried a desperately wounded Viola right into the hands of their worst enemy, Mayor Prentiss. Immediately separated from Viola and imprisoned, Todd is forced to learn the ways of the Mayor's new order. But what secrets are hiding just outside of town? And where is Viola? Is she even still alive? And who are the mysterious Answer? And then, one day, the bombs begin to explode..."The Ask and the Answer" is a tense, shocking and deeply moving novel of resistance under the most extreme pressure. This is the second title in the "Chaos Walking" trilogy.

#3 Book
MONSTERS OF MEN

Synopsis: "War," says the Mayor. "At last." Three armies march on New Prentisstown, each one intent on destroying the others. Todd and Viola are caught in the middle, with no chance of escape. As the battles commence, how can they hope to stop the fighting? How can there ever be peace when they're so hopelessly outnumbered? And if war makes monsters of men, what terrible choices await? But then a third voice breaks into the battle, one bent on revenge - the electrifying finale to the award-winning "Chaos Walking" trilogy, Monsters of Men is a heart-stopping novel about power, survival, and the devastating realities of war"

#Prequel
THE NEW WORLD

Synopsis: In this dramatic prequel to the award-winning Chaos Walking Trilogy, author Patrick Ness gives us a short story of Viola's journey to the New World.

---

Movie
Lions Gate Entertainment acquired worldwide distribution rights to a film adaptation of the "Chaos Walking Trilogy", to be produced by Doug Davison's production company Quadrant Pictures. Oscar winning writer Charlie Kaufman will be writing the script for the film adaption for The Knife of Never Letting Go. It is scheduled to 2014
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2076822/

---

What did I thought of it: the first book was already really good and a interesting experience. Although, the second book is a stand-out. What an amazing, chilling and thrilling experience. Are you a fan of Science Fiction? Western? Do you like dystopias? If you do, Chaos Walking might the most original one out there. I strongly recommend it and I just can't wait for the movie and to the 3rd book to be released over here in Brazil. :D
image image image
We'll never be forgiven for what we did.
Trust me, I'm a Film Grad ;)

Comments

• RichardRichard Posts: 48,589 mod
    Sounds insteresting many many books to read!
  • HenrickHenrick Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just 4, Rich. :D
    image image image
  • RichardRichard Posts: 48,589 mod
    Henrick said:

Just 4, Rich. :D

I still need to read Maze runner series bitch! :D
  • silverarrowgriffinsilverarrowgriffin Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to, Adri. I'm sure you would enjoy it :D
    image image image
  • mattStrelowmattStrelow Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is great Matt. Really original, different from everything I have read before.
    image image image
  • mattStrelowmattStrelow Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to know, I'll put it in my list, I hope I'm able to get it soon...

I just looked the Brazilian edition up and the cover looks nothing like a dystopian adventure cover.

I know. They are not really attractive, but they are well edited! :D
    image image image
  • XDMorsmordreXDXDMorsmordreXD Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Many, many."
    :))

Anyway, I've seen this at B&N and I'm always intrigued.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mysterious thing time.
    It's a great read. And a sad one too :(
    image image image
  • nick_hansennick_hansen Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like something I might be interested in. You think I would like it Rick?
    I think you would love, Nick! It's a really emotional and thrilling ride. More of sci-fi/western road book. I highly recommend it :D

And you can expect something really different from the synopsis!
    image image image
    They are kinda big man.

The Knife of Never Letting Go is 496 pages.
    The Ask and The Answer is 519 pages.
    Monsters of Men is 602 pages.

But they are really imersive. It's the kind of reading that flies by. It's an easy read with a lot of action. :D
    image image image
    This is for @fawke83 :)
    image image image
  • fawke83fawke83 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    Oh, thank you good sir. :)

Well, in in the half of Monsters of Men, and I can say that, by far, this is the best YA trilogy I've ever read.

Yes, better than Maze Runner. And yes, better than Hunger Games. Name it what you want. Even Dashner, once, called Patrick Ness "like a better me".

So, what makes me love so much the series? Let's go:

Character development, even the randoms have some presence and importance to it, supporting characters are very nice, and the villain is the most sly, badass and manipulative bastard I've ever seen. If I could draw a comparison, it would be easily a "Hans Landa with powers". And note: Mayor Prentiss doesn't show his face until the second book. The protagonists? Well, adorable, to say the least. Todd is a very nice kid who you will have a good time loving/hating, because he is extremely flawed, I believe that's what is the nice about it, he is good-willed, but he is brash, sometimes stubborn as a mule, and conflicted as hell, and the change he goes through the books is an excellent one. Viola, THANK GOD, is a female protagonist who isn't just the "supporting girl-love-crush doing stupid things", she has a voice in the story, sometimes can be as stubborn as Todd, and does take matters by her hands a lot of times, during the story.

Another stuff about characters that is what I always plead: ALMOST EVERYTHING IS GREY. The protagonists take questionable choices, and the so called "bad guys" are ambiguous, and, mainly in book 2 onwards, will put you to wonder who is the real villain there, as everyone keep toying with the minds of both the readers and the characters. No one is innocent here, point.

The setting also is very nice, a breath of fresh air in dystopian worlds, as this isn't a dystopian city or anything, but another world, with a very western feeling, in a way. I personally loved it, the quirkiness and surprises are delightable, to say the least.

Finally, the writing. It is probably strange at first sight, you will raise an eyebrow sometimes to the "language" used, as it is in first-person. But when you keep reading, and keep up with it, you end up learning how genius it is, because it helps you to understand perfectly what the character is feeling, and what he thinks about the world. The Noise, which is the big catch of the story, is an incredible one, and helps a lot in this aspect.

All in all: a great read, worth your every penny, the story just keeps getting better and better (the first book is the weakest one, and it is great, how many YA trilogies have you heard something like that?), I'm thanking the Lord that this piece of art fell in the hands of Lionsgate, to be adapted by a genius screenwriter, as I'm sure they will get top-notch actors to portray everyone (and I'm starting the petitions right now, Christoph Waltz for Mayor Prentiss and Michael Shannon for Aaron, hell yea). It will be without a doubt one of the best YA adaptations to the big screen around.

P.S.: Henrick, the third book is already selling here in Brazil. Probably got one of the first copies, bought it, like, two days after the book went from "pre-sale" to actual sale.
    Quaalude fight: because drunk fight is too mainstream.
    I still gotta read Monsters of Men, but I think I should re-read The Ask and The Answer first.

It is indeed an amazing trilogy (so far, for me). Brilliant character development, very strong and emotional scenes (Manchee). If there's one thing that bothers me a little bit is just the whole world setting. It just doesn't convince me. I think that Ness takes a while to set it up. But besides that... Brilliant and thoughtful novel.

I'm still kinda doubtful regarding the movie adaptation. Not sure how things are going to work on the big screen and how "The Noise" will be portrayed. I believe in Charlie Kaufman, of course. But I'm still a little bit skeptical. I just hope that they don't make the characters look older than they really are. For me, one of the most charming things about Chaos Walking is the thing of becoming a men when you turn 13. Todd needs to be and look around this age.
    image image image
    edited June 2013
    And the thing and the discussion of which one is "better". Well.. For me, while you can fit The Hunger Games and The Maze Runner in a similar category, I can't compare them to Chaos Walking. Simply because the first two I consider to be more action packed novels not very worried and attached to writing style. It's more... "brainless", for entertainment sake only. Chaos Walking, while entertaining, is much deeper, thoughtful. I consider it a very mature YA novel. Patrick Ness is the typical writer that appealing to Book Awards and stuff, while Collins and Dashner fits more in the "best seller lists" on newspaper. They might follow a same genre, but I think that Chaos Walking has totally different intentions. For example, it's the typical juvenile book that could be included in the curriculum of Elementary schools and stuff.
    Post edited by Henrick on
    image image image
    And I think that, for example... Just look at the director that is adapting the novel to the big screen. I think that represents well what I'm talking about.
    image image image
    Henrick said:

And the thing and the discussion of which one is "better". Well.. For me, while you can fit The Hunger Games and The Maze Runner in a similar category, I can't compare them to Chaos Walking. Simply because the first two I consider to be more action packed novels not very worried and attached to writing style. It's more... "brainless", for entertainment sake only. Chaos Walking, while entertaining, is much deeper, thoughtful. I consider it a very mature YA novel. Patrick Ness is the typical writer that appealing to Book Awards and stuff, while Collins and Dashner fits more in the "best seller lists" on newspaper. They might follow a same genre, but I think that Chaos Walking has totally different intentions. For example, it's the typical juvenile book that could be included in the curriculum of Elementary schools and stuff.

Yeah, that's basically what I think too. When I compare, it's just plain "liked more x than y", because, like it or not, they are still YA novels.

About the movie adaptation: indeed, the Noise will be a tricky stuff to sell. But that's why I'm happy they got such a crazy and inventive screenwriter to adapt it. To make things better, only if they call someone like Spike Jonze to direct. It will be that thing: or the movie will be a genius shot, or it will pass as strange and awful. Really hoping that, when the time comes, it will be the former.

Besides, it feels that Lionsgate are prepping Chaos Walking to be their next money-maker, once Hunger Games comes to an end. This shows that their hope on the material is very strong, which gives me hope as well, that it will all be very worked upon.

In the meantime: I'm sad. Just finished Monsters of Men. What a heart-wrenching finale, damn it. Patrick Ness is one talented son of a bitch. I'm basically speechless, only thing I can say is, go read it. Now. It's worth every second of read.
    I will read as soon as possible. I have 3 books in the line. As soon as I finish them, I'll get back to Chaos Walking :D
    image image image
    There is another stuff to add: the short stories. There isn't just The New World (which is the "least better" of the three), but The Wide Wide Sea and The Snowscape. In the official website, it is distributed freely, for those who sometime read the original trilogy, with indications of when you should read each short story:

http://www.chaoswalkingstories.com/

Damn it, in miserable 30~40 pages, Ness creates different perspectives and stories, and makes you fall in love all again with the universe of Chaos Walking.

P.S.: geez, I should stop hyping this series too much. Makes me feel like a bragster. Just maintain my word: anyone who likes any YA book, with great characters and good plot, go get it. Every book and story bit that surrounds this universe is gold.
    Starting it TODAY :D

image image image
    Unfortunately, really really really struggling with the third book to a point that I already thought of giving up.
    image image image
    Finally finished it. Posted a short review over the book thread. Unfortunately, for me, Monsters of Men is comparable to Mockingjay, in terms of the last book in a trilogy.

Still, the big question is: how are they going to adapt this? Sounds crazy.
    image image image
    Yes, I'm reviving this thread because I didn't read that you had finished the book.

But, as I'm terribly tired to begin another discussion, dude, I can only say this: once again, no, nope, couldn't disagree more with your opinion on the third book. Moreso on that ending and on the story of the pace, which I enjoyed both greatly and found it a fitting ending to an amazing trilogy.

I still believe it's possible to adapt it. The main problem is the Noise, without a doubt, but I think there is a way, one that I could only explain by immitating personally, hah.

P.S.: I recommend the short stories. "Wide Wide Sea" in particular is brilliant.
    Well, I can say the same: I couldn't disagree more. The book not failed to satisfy me as an individual piece of work, but also ruined the whole good impression built from the first two novels.
    image image image
    DAFUQ. REAL NEWS ON THE ADAPTATION.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/robert-zemeckis-courted-for-charlie-kaufman-penned-ya-adaptation-chaos-walking-20130910

And honestly, I'm thrilled. The option of Zemeckis never went through my head, and it would be a genius one.
    Ugh. For real? Zemeckis?
    image image image
  • aaronaaron Posts: 20,928 mod
    Chaos Walking Trilogy: Uncanny Valley style
    imageimageimage
    I don't see the problem. Zemeckis is a solid filmmaker, has shown to be able to tackle different genres, and could rise the name of the movie. If it's a close deal, well, of course I'd pick a different director, but he could do one fine job, after all.
  • silverarrowgriffinsilverarrowgriffin Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭✭✭