Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla
Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

"The Morning Potter" with Darth Ledger

Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2012 in General
Hello Forum folks and onlookers, I want to start a new segment called "The Morning Potter" (as you can see haha) where I give you a good dosage of our beloved book series while sharing some thoughts here and there.

My first topic is this article: http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/story/2012-08-22/jk-rowling-casual-vacancy/57220020/1

Written on August 23rd, and probably already posted in The Casual Vacancy thread, this article ignited the biggest flame in my buildup anticipation for JK Rowling's newest novel. I don't know about you guys but I was teary eyed trying to read it all the way through. So many memories ignited within me, but I'm a tender fellow at heart.

I for one will be at Barnes and Noble on September 27 (8 DAYS!!!) to buy my copy. I will probably have it read and have a review up on this site within 36 hours. Needless to say, I'm overwhelmingly excited!!!

POTTER TIME!

I'll start with our Comedic Book selection of the day from Goblet of Fire:

One of them was a very old wizard who was wearing a long flowery nightgown. The other was clearly a Ministry wizard; he was holding out a pair of pinstriped trousers and almost crying with exasperation.
"Just put them on, Archie, there's a good chap. You can't walk around like that, the Muggle at the gate's already getting suspicious-"
"I bought this in a Muggle shop," said the old wizard stubbornly. "Muggles wear them."
"Muggle women wear them, Archie, not the men, they wear these," said the Ministry wizard, and he brandished the pinstriped trousers.
"I'm not putting them on," said old Archie in indignation. "I like a healthy breeze 'round my privates, thanks."

I thought it was funny... Maybe you did too. I used to laugh like there was no tomorrow when I would read that as a kid.

I'm sorry this is so short but IT IS MY FIRST segment after all!

For my final piece, I want to share this quote from Half Blood Prince:

“It was, he thought, the difference between being dragged into the arena to face a battle to the death and walking into the arena with your head held high. Some people, perhaps, would say that there was little to choose between the two ways, but Dumbledore knew - and so do I, thought Harry, with a rush of fierce pride, and so did my parents - that there was all the difference in the world.”

I want to discuss this last piece before I let you leave. This quote might be one of my favorites in all of literature. Each person reading this will always have someone trying to get you to do what seems logical. Do what makes sense. It's all about you.
Wrong.

Dumbledore knew, and Harry found out, that living for yourself isn't enough. It leads to despair, a less than full life. To battle the hardships of each day, you can make the stand to either be dragged around and take what it gives trying to live in the gray area... or you can shoulder off all the "real life" struggle trying to destroy you and you can stand up to it with nothing held back, not caring about the end result. Fight, and fight again. For only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.

We all want to end the battle... But in the end, its the journey that counts... not the end result. Fight on Harry Potter Forum, Fight On.

Thanks for reading! If you enjoyed my morning column I'll be back with a new article EVERY Wednesday morning!

-Darth L

"If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

Comments