Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla
Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

Where my nerds at?

RustyBonesRustyBones Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
edited September 2012 in General
I was hoping y'all could help me. My laptop is at the end of it's life (DELL XPS M1530 that has lasted me 4-5 years and been the best I have had so far). I am now in the market for a new cpu (possibly for a Christmas gift if I can hold out that long).

The most important things to me on the computer are video and gigantic Excel files. I know that an extremely large excel file is not a concern for memory, but as the file gets larger and I have to make group changes, most computers start pending/crashing. I am concerned with price, warranty, and last-ability. On Woot.com right now there is a pretty sweet deal; an i5 MacBook Air for $759.99, but I think I want more than 2 gigs of ram and a larger screen. Also, I have been looking at Alienware. I have heard mostly good things about them, but I don't game on my cpu and thus don't need a crazy gaming graphics card.

Please help me with some recommendations. I know I am going to get some apple die hards coming at me, but please give justification. I really appreciate any help y'all could give. Thank you.

PS - This is me working on my last tower.

Comments

• Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No macbooks. No. Stop yourself there.

I'm not an apple hater, I love iPhones and they're great, but macbooks are overpriced. You can find PC's with the same qualities for half the price. You can get 8 gb of ram for the same price as a macbook 2-3 gb ram.

So there, unless you are rich, do not buy a macbook.

Make sure it is i5 or i7 (i7 is really unnecessary, i5 is more than enough).

Now, must this be a laptop or can it be a desktop?
  • JordyJordy Posts: 608 ✭✭✭✭
    They aren't overpriced since they last twice as long as a Windows Laptop/PC.

Furthermore, they have a better design than Windows and they don't crash. Everything on a MacBook is fluid whereas on a Windows everything is fragmented.

If you want to know something about MacBooks or if you want more reasons why MacBooks are better, just ask me :-).
    That's seriously a myth. I've had my current PC since 2001 and it runs smooth and I have no problems with it.

There's no reason to pay 500 dollars more on a laptop for half the features. There are PC's that have much better designs than MacBooks, but that's not the point. He wants something thatll run really well, and spending that money on something like that isn't worth it.

For that same 800 bucks for a slower 2gb ram MacBook with less storage, you can get a 4-8 gb ram PC with 640gb to 1TB of storage. Like, it's not even close. The thing MacBooks are good for is their amazing graphics for designers, but he said graphics don't matter, so there goes the point of that.
  • RustyBonesRustyBones Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the responses guys. I have always been a PC guy myself. I have never had a problem with my cpu crashing and running either chrome or firefox over ie makes it so my internet crashes at max once a month. I work in advertising and am doing more and more design work lately. That is the only reason why I would entertain the idea of getting a mac. When I mentioned a graphics card earlier, I was letting y'all know I don't need a card specific to gaming. I do watch a bunch of HD video streams so graphics and bit rate would be very important. And then, as mentioned before, I need the cpu to be able to handle big changes in Excel, which I would imagine would come down to the processor. @RowlingInTheDeep, when you are talking about building your own, are you talking about a custom build through Dell (or the likes) or talking about going to Fryes and building your own tower? Also, to answer your question, lap top is crucial.

Another question, where to go for best prices??? Danko.
  • RustyBonesRustyBones Posts: 464 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys, so I have not been able to check with you all lately bc my freaking laptop broke. I did some troubleshooting, and found that a common problem was the battery life (which I was getting warnings about for about 6-8 months or so). It was always getting super hot (as Dell's do and have they even solved this problem?!?!?). So, found out it was not JUST the battery, but that the sodder between the motherboard and graphics card had melted. Time for a new computer... SO, what up? What is the best to get for $1000? What is the best to get for $1500?