Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla
Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

The visual effects...

BraveheartBraveheart Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in General
Anyone else think some of them looked pretty fake? The dragon in the shot where it breathes fire, the daisy in Lily's hand, Harry and Voldemort's fall, the Death Eaters shooting spells at the protection....and more. Hmm. I can only say I expressly hope this isn't finished yet. Of course, I remember how we all assured ourselves that Dobby was unfinished when he looked fake in the Part 1 trailer but honestly, it worries me slightly. That was just one little bit in the Part 1 trailer. There is many more instances of fake looking visuals here...I can only hope.

Comments

• BaneBane Posts: 9,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They still have months of work ahead of them. Yeah, some of the shots aren't completed, but it's probably what took so long to get a teaser-- these guys are working night and day to get the effects looking like they need to, and three months away from theatrical release, they're probably still hammering away at it and will be up until it's close to launch.

But, finished or not, they had to get the marketing going.
  • Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 26,543 mod
    They'll still be working on that for at least another month or two, remember... they finished Part 1 completely, about two or three weeks before the actual release.

Lord Stafford.
    Yep. Effects, editing, practically everything workable in post production will continue to be refined up until at least a few weeks before they ship the prints out.
    Trailers for effects heavy films almost always have some rough looking, incomplete shots.
  • Festax0333Festax0333 Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What we see looked good enough to tease us...notice the Oliver wood shot. Test screenings didn't mention that
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • SwedishSkinJerSwedishSkinJer Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    The Battle of Hogwarts is a massive undertaking in terms of effects. As Darth pointed out, they have months of post-production ahead of them to refine every single shot to some extent. However, I did not notice one iota of "fakery" because of the pace and the genuine thrills that the trailer inspired. That is how most audiences will experience the trailer for themselves.

As for Dobby, I found him to be a well-executed character (the subtle emotions on his face during his death scene were so stunningly realized that I forgot he was even a CG construct) so we do not see eye-to-eye there in terms of expectations for what's going to be refined, but the fact remains that the post-production period is still well underway and they have a solid foundation to work with now.
    Post edited by SwedishSkinJer on
  • HenrickHenrick Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally someone made an interesting and relevant point.

Totally agree, Braveheart.

Guys. Forget it. The scenes in the trailer are done and finished. It's just like before: everyone was complaining about Dumbledore's tomb in Part 1's trailer, and everyone said it was unfinished. And no. It was finished, but poorly done.

VFX has always been the Achilles' heel of the saga. And I'm worried about it because a lot of effects in the trailer seem poorly done.
    image image image
    We'll never be forgiven for what we did.
    Trust me, I'm a Film Grad ;)
    Yes, Dumbledore's tomb was bad. I was expecting that to be an unfinished shot myself, and was disappointed that it was. So you're right about that. However, there's no way you could possibly know that some of those effects shots were totally completed so let's not pretend otherwise.
  • Wolf_PotterWolf_Potter Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭✭

Guys. Forget it. The scenes in the trailer are done and finished. It's just like before: everyone was complaining about Dumbledore's tomb in Part 1's trailer, and everyone said it was unfinished. And no. It was finished, but poorly done.

VFX has always been the Achilles' heel of the saga. And I'm worried about it because a lot of effects in the trailer seem poorly done.
    You have to be kidding me!!

The effects aren't done. It's stupid to think that they are keeping these unfinished shots in the actual film.
    They have a lot of work to do. They have 2 months to finish the film, and there are lots of people working on it!!

Don't be moaning about the VFX, believe me, they'll NEVER release the film with "fake" effects.

:D
    Dart, do you really believe that WB would show unfinished shots in the trailer of one of the most antecipated movies of the history?
    image image image
    No, Henrick... the scenes in the trailer are not 'done and finished' if they were, there would be a massive uproar for some of the effects to be done properly.

Lord Stafford.
    Dart, do you really believe that WB would show unfinished shots in the trailer of one of the most antecipated movies of the history?
    I'm not Darth, but still, yes... they would do that, they have to. Alot of the stuff in the June trailer was unfinished, but i don't hear you or anyone else complaining about it.

Lord Stafford.

You're making a blanket statement that simply does not apply. You are implying that all of the scenes in the trailer are done -- every shot in the trailer -- when many of them have been vastly changed from what we saw a few months ago. You do not possess the foresight to make the statement that every shot is done and unfinished in late April for one of the most intensive PP periods for any film in this series.

One instance of an unfinished effect remaining largely unchanged in the final film does not apply to Part II's massive list of visual effects, especially because Part I and Part II are apples and oranges in this sense.

edited April 2011
    Erm, this happens regardless of how anticipated a movie is. When they cut an initial trailer they will rarely have enough shots that are entirely finished. And none of the effects were unfinished enough in the sense that they couldn't be shown to a theater to build anticipation; if you want entirely finished effects then they wouldn't be able to release any footage until late June, tops.
  • RichardRichard Posts: 48,589 mod
    Some effects are not done imo... if they are then oh well. I can live with it.
    Guys. You say that it's impossible to know if the effects shots are completed. But what make you so sure that tey are not? Besides... Just look the past trailers... Everyone was saying that Dobby was unfinished, that Dumbledore's tomb wasn't finished. And.. Guess what? They were!

Just give me and example of an unfinished scene (despite coloring) in a trailer of the whole saga.
    image image image
    edited April 2011
    Guys. You say that it's impossible to know if the effects shots are completed. But what make you so sure that tey are not? Besides... Just look the past trailers... Everyone was saying that Dobby was unfinished, that Dumbledore's tomb wasn't finished. And.. Guess what? They were!

Just give me and example of an unfinished scene (despite coloring) in a trailer of the whole saga.
    I am certain because the post-production period for Part II cannot be compared to most of the previous films. As I said before, one instance of an unfinished shot in Part I is an insufficient comparison because it is ovewhelmed by the sheer amount of work behind the effects in Part II.

Scenes like Fiendfyre and the protections breaking have been considerably changed from what we have previously seen. If you think they are still not refining most of the set pieces than it is my opinion that you are utterly mistaken.

Sure. They're quick and pretty harmless. They're completed enough, at least, to the point where people aren't going to say "well that dragon's clearly missing a few textures, not seeing the movie now!"
    And Wolf... Trust me.. They released OoTP with one of the worst effects ever.
    image image image
    You're applying your opinion to one effect in a movie that can't even be compared to the post-production process for Part II as validation when it is in fact the opposite. I'm contesting your claim not wholly about the final quality, but that they have finished working on most of the set pieces by April. They have not.

Henrick,the shot of explosions at students didnt have black smoke. Also the shot of DE going to the hogwarts express didnt have smoke but were added in the film. That shows that the trailers arent 100% reliable of effects.

I am certain because the post-production period for Part II cannot be compared to most of the previous films. As I said before, one instance of an unfinished shot in Part I is an insufficient comparison because it is ovewhelmed by the sheer amount of work behind the effects in Part II.

Scenes like Fiendfyre and the protections breaking have been considerably changed from what we have previously seen. If you think they are still not refining most of the set pieces than it is my opinion that you are utterly mistaken.

Swedish. The scenes changed, of course. But you are not considering that the past footage was released almost more then 1 year agor. Of course it changed. They were starting the editing work of Part 2. Right now, we almost 2 months away from the premiere. I doubt we are going to see something really different from this.
    image image image
  • Pensieve SeekerPensieve Seeker Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭
    Nagini wasn't in the June 2010 trailer scene when Voldemort is trying to break the protections. (At least I'm pretty sure she wasn't.)
    Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Pottermore user name: SilverQuest212
    edited April 2011
    I'm talking about footage as relatively recent as the sneak peak. Sometimes, edits put footage from earlier formats back in, so they are not always indicative of the final cut that's being worked on as we speak.

Most troublesome of all, you're not considering that because of the nature of the Battle of Hogwarts they would be working more furiously - ESPECIALLY in the last two months - compared to the other films, which did not demand such a sheer number of shots that have an intensive level of special effects work. Nearly every frame has a greater number of effects shots relative to the other films. In many cases for a blockbuster, the last weeks are sometimes the most furious in terms of refinement.
    edited April 2011
    it's fine for me, I'm sure you are talking about Grawp. IMO it was acceptable, I know he looks fake in some way.
    But I can live with it. They didn't have enough time in the edition, or maybe the technology in that time affect them.
    I don't know, but I trust them.

:)
    Post edited by Wolf_Potter on
    edited April 2011
    And to substantiate the fact that some recent trailers/sneak peaks do not always use up-to-date footage, consider this shot from March's sneak peak:

From last month alone, this seemingly small shot of combatants running has been updated in terms of effects. Sometimes, editors don't use the most reflective footage because cutting content like this is a process where, as soon as you're finished, some of the shots have been changed considerably. And it's even more applicable in Part II's case because the Battle of Hogwarts demands more in terms of effects, frame-by-frame.
    edited April 2011
    Do you really think that they are still working in the VFX? What the hell? They are doing the 3D conversion at this point. We are just 2 months away from the release.

Guys, I worked in a movie distributor company and trust me... I'm almost sure that the movie is finished. They are probably finishing the 3D conversion (don't forget that) and preparing to make the copies. And... MOST IMPORTANT... They need to send copies to every Warner Bros. office in the WORLD. Do you know how long it can take for a copy to arrive in a country? A LOT. They need to deal with taxes and importantion, custom duties.

Trust me guys. The movie is already finished.
    Post edited by Henrick on
    image image image
  • NickNick Posts: 20,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    well that sucks if this is the finished product
    Could you also please finally tell us how the universe was created and how to cure cancer?
  • AshAsh Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you really think that they are still working in the VFX? What the hell? They are doing the 3D conversion at this point. We are just 2 months away from the release.

Guys, I worked in a movie distributor company and trust me... I'm almost sure that the movie is finished. They are probably finishing the 3D conversion (don't forget that) and preparing to make the copies. And... MOST IMPORTANT... They need to send copies to every Warner Bros. office in the WORLD. Do you know how long it can take for a copy to arrive in a country? A LOT. They need to deal with taxes and importantion, custom duties.

Some people are working on the VFX and others on the 3D conversion.
    There are tons of people working, not just 2 fucking guys:
    1 on the VFX edition and 1 on the 3D conversion...ugh!

This IS NOT the final product.
  • NickNick Posts: 20,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Accio_LogAccio_Log Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    Yes, they have to get stuff out. Films are often not finished until very close to release. Editing and visual effects start at almost the same time filming does and they works months beyond the last day of shooting. There is a reason for this. Its painstakingly long process.

I am very sure they are not done with the visual effects for this film.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Some people are working on the VFX and others on the 3D conversion.
    There are tons of people working, not just 2 fucking guys:
    1 on the VFX edition and 1 on the 3D conversion...ugh!

This IS NOT the final product.
    I have worked in the business to and know people that continue to do so. Some in editing. Even if the movie is already finished that doesn't mean thats what we've seen in the trailer. The trailer VFX could have been done a while ago and it just took a while to edit.

I am still pretty sure the film is not done yet.
    First you judge the cinematography by photos in a fucking kid's sticker book or whatever.

Now you're claiming that you know for a fact that the effects are finished on a film with three months of post-production to go, and not only that, are under the impression that just because it has to be converted to 3D, that they're already past everything else. The music score isn't even finished and thus, editing isn't even finished, nor will be finished anytime soon. 3D conversion or not, films are tweaked almost right up until the prints are delivered to theaters. This includes editing, effects, and everything that can be done in post-production. As Wolf stated, there are different teams of people working simultaneously on different elements of the film. Anyone with any fucking film knowledge would know this.

You're on strike two, Henrick. After three strikes, I'm going to have to deliciously ignore anything else you have to say from that point onward.
    On a side note. I did not see the shots mentioned in the thread start as fake looking. Maybe thats just me.
    On a side note. I did not see the shots mentioned in the thread start as fake looking. Maybe thats just me.
    Me neither...

VFX the Achilles' heel but DH1 was nominated for an Academy Award.

They must have low standards at the Academy then...
    Damn guys. What all this hate about? So imature. Let's grown up a bit and argue like adults, please?

Just saying my opinion. Damn. You are always so angry and mad. Totally unecessary.

First. They need every single shot of the movie done to work on the 3D conversion. That's pretty obvious. In second place, we are less then 3 months away from the release. Third: soundtrack, audio and sound editing is an independent work. You don't need the film rolls to do that.

And... Let's check some things more. We are 77 days away from the WORLDWIDE release. Copies need to be send to countries all around the world. These countries needs to work on their own copies (including 3D). They need to work on subtitles. They need to work on the dubbing. All of the copies are imported. Issues like tax, custom duties are involved in the process.

As I said, I worked in a movie distributor company and we used to receive the copy of a movie, normally, 3 months before the actual international release. Sometimes, we had to postpone the release over here because things were not ready. That's why it's so common to a movie premieres a couple of weeks (or month) after in another country. But... We are talking about a WORLDWIDE release.

I know that they could use old footage and those kind of stuff. But I doubt it. If the trailer was released more then 5 months from the premiere, yeah.. I would say it is not finished. But we are less then 3 months guys. And... Once again.. I doubt it Warner would release a trailer with effects shots that are not completed.

That's my opinion. We just have to wait and see, but I just hope we can argue in a healthy way, without insults.

;)
    image image image
    We just have to wait and see, but I just hope we can argue in a healthy way, without insults.

;)
    You said it all! :)
    edited April 2011
    Damn guys. What all this hate about? So imature. Let's grown up a bit and argue like adults, please?

Just saying my opinion. Damn. You are always so angry and mad. Totally unecessary.

First. They need every single shot of the movie done to work on the 3D conversion. That's pretty obvious. In second place, we are less then 3 months away from the release. Third: soundtrack, audio and sound editing is an independent work. You don't need the film rolls to do that.

And... Let's check some things more. We are 77 days away from the WORLDWIDE release. Copies need to be send to countries all around the world. These countries needs to work on their own copies (including 3D). They need to work on subtitles. They need to work on the dubbing. All of the copies are imported. Issues like tax, custom duties are involved in the process.

As I said, I worked in a movie distributor company and we used to receive the copy of a movie, normally, 3 months before the actual international release. Sometimes, we had to postpone the release over here because things were not ready. That's why it's so common to a movie premieres a couple of weeks (or month) after in another country. But... We are talking about a WORLDWIDE release.

I know that they could use old footage and those kind of stuff. But I doubt it. If the trailer was released more then 5 months from the premiere, yeah.. I would say it is not finished. But we are less then 3 months guys. And... Once again.. I doubt it Warner would release a trailer with effects shots that are not completed.

That's my opinion. We just have to wait and see, but I just hope we can argue in a healthy way, without insults.

;)
    In the end it really doesn't matter. People see different things in each shot anyway. Some feel it's unfinished and doesn't look good and others love it.

We really have no way of actually knowing if the film is finished or not because we don't work for WB.

Your opinion is that the film is done. Mine is that it probably is not. I think they could still be working on it until much closer to release.

Also, the soundtrack, audio, and sound engineering is separate from film editing but its probably a good idea to have visuals to match the audio.
    Post edited by Accio_Log on
    Henrick, not every scene in the 3D showing will be 3D....
    Fury, the movie will be showing in 3D. Of course some scenes need special work, but everything will be 3D. They need to convert every single shot of the movie. ;)

image image image

You said it all! :)
    ;) Thanks Wolf! :D

In the end it really doesn't matter. People see different things in each shot anyway. Some feel it's unfinished and doesn't look good and others love it.

We really have no way of actually knowing if the film is finished or not because we don't work for WB.

Your opinion is that the film is done. Mine is that it probably is not. I think they could still be working on it until much closer to release.
    Exactly, Accio! It's just differents point of views! ;)
    image image image
    Vance the whole film you have to wear glasses.
    edited April 2011
    *insert face-palm GiF here*

No it is not. They tell you when to put the glasses on when the 3D scenes come up!
    This reminds me to "Spy Kids 3D" movie :)) :)) Definitely not in DH2 :)) :))
    Vance the whole film you have to wear glasses.
    :)) :)) :)) You are right Richard

Post edited by Wolf_Potter on
    wolf its all 3 d
    Yeah man, I edited the post, check it :)