Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla
Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

Is there anyone who genuinely dislikes Goblet of Fire?

Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 26,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in Movies
For example, if you were a critic on RT, you'd give it a Rotten. Is there anyone who actually dislikes it, and why?

Anyone who decides to post here with little to no reasoning as to why they dislike it, trolling and bashing away, will be discredited with their comments deleted.

I think i'll give myself and irlkg equal credit for this one, as he gave me the push to make this a discussion, with his inspiration. And i gave myself the final push, believing it to be a good idea. If you need proof... here it is:

Irlkg - Neither do I bud. I don't see reasons to why it should be disliked, but idk. Make a thread like I just did where I asked if there's anyone who dislikes DH2. Ask if anyone genuinely dislikes GoF, because I really don't think there are that many...

Me - That's a good idea, sure.

The original link, just in case you all need it as extra proof: http://harrypotterforum.com/discussion/9425/is-there-anyone-who-genuinely-dislikes-deathly-hallows-part-2/p2

Lord Stafford.

Comments

• SwedishSkinJerSwedishSkinJer Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭
    GoF seems to be such a contentious film, even moreso than PoA, that I'd consider it a far greater novelty to find someone who unabashedly embraces it for whatever reason.
  • MattCatMattCat Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn‘t say I dislike it but I have a number of problems with it : the over-the-top acting, the poor characterisations (the Caricatures of the Crouch’s, Dumbledore, the non-characters of Krum and Fleur), the fact that ideas and plots were introduced and then fell by the wayside (Rita Skeeter for example), the first 15-20 minutes just feel so rushed by - there’s no rhythm, Newell traded some of the most interesting moments in the book for much limper ideas - Crouch’s death of a terrified man escaping dark forces was reworked to a generic body shot, Crouch Jr’s trial was a joke. I was never a big fan of Doyle’s score because, to my ears, it lacked subtlety noticeably when bombastic, dramatic music would play for every low beat of the film and I think the photography of the film is just too, uh, bland looking.
  • Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn‘t say I dislike it but I have a number of problems with it : the over-the-top acting, the poor characterisations (the Caricatures of the Crouch’s, Dumbledore, the non-characters of Krum and Fleur), the fact that ideas and plots were introduced and then fell by the wayside (Rita Skeeter for example), the first 15-20 minutes just feel so rushed by - there’s no rhythm, Newell traded some of the most interesting moments in the book for much limper ideas - Crouch’s death of a terrified man escaping dark forces was reworked to a generic body shot, Crouch Jr’s trial was a joke. I was never a big fan of Doyle’s score because, to my ears, it lacked subtlety noticeably when bombastic, dramatic music would play for every low beat of the film and I think the photography of the film is just too, uh, bland looking.
    I agree completely here. I would have given it a fresh hands down but listed these problems.
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

• Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 26,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stafford you know this will turn into a GOF hate thread again.
    Not if i delete anything that is to be classified as 'hate' and i can assure you that i will if i need to.

Lord Stafford.
    Bland looking? Isn't that was OOTP is ever so often called? The colour pallete for that is absolutely atrocious.

Lord Stafford.
    I don't see how anyone could be on a HarryPotterForum and give a Harry Potter film a rotten tomato. I have issues with just about all of them but they are still my favorite films EVER.
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

I copied that top line directly from irlkg's original thread.

Lord Stafford.
  • I wouldn‘t say I dislike it but I have a number of problems with it : the over-the-top acting, the poor characterisations (the Caricatures of the Crouch’s, Dumbledore, the non-characters of Krum and Fleur), the fact that ideas and plots were introduced and then fell by the wayside (Rita Skeeter for example), the first 15-20 minutes just feel so rushed by - there’s no rhythm, Newell traded some of the most interesting moments in the book for much limper ideas - Crouch’s death of a terrified man escaping dark forces was reworked to a generic body shot, Crouch Jr’s trial was a joke. I was never a big fan of Doyle’s score because, to my ears, it lacked subtlety noticeably when bombastic, dramatic music would play for every low beat of the film and I think the photography of the film is just too, uh, bland looking.

Bland looking? Isn't that was OOTP is ever so often called? The colour pallete for that is absolutely atrocious.

Lord Stafford.
    So we can't hate on GOF, but you can hate on OOTP... as usual.. Typical
    Philosopher's Stone - To me it's the warmest of the movies, a Holiday classic. I love it. Rating- 91%

Chamber of Secrets - Long but I love the Plot and it holds some decently scary moments. Rating - 85%

Prisoner of Azkaban - Beautiful, Dark film. Easy repeat value, Best climax. Rating - 93%

Goblet of Fire - Revitalized the series at the Box Office, Most fun to watch even if the acting goes haywire at times. Rating - 90%

Order of the Phoenix - Feels like a T.V. show but the final battle makes it worth it every time. Rating - 83%

Half Blood Prince - Cinematic Beauty at its best, very very nice usage of Score and several stunning scenes. Rating- 92%

Deathly Hallows Part 1 - Not the best repeat value but a Great Film, even better when attached to Part 2. Rating- 87%

Deathly Hallows Part 2 - Here's the playground bully with few problems but overwhelming amounts of memorable scenes and perfect score. Rating - 95%

IN COMPARISON

Sucker Punch - Wtf was Snyder Thinking? Rating - 39%

Twilight Saga: New Moon - Omg maybe its just because I don't like Romance? Rating - 21%

• Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you made this Staff!

I have my problems with GoF. I have problems with basically every film ever, loll, it happens! It's just how it is.

Mine mainly consist of dialogue and direction. The acting seems to take a step backward from PoA oddly.

I won't go into great detail because I don't HATE or dislike the film. I still love every Potter film.

Lord Stafford.

So we can't hate on GOF, but you can hate on OOTP... as usual.. Typical
    That isn't hating, idiot. You were saying the same with GOF, but i wouldn't call it 'hating' though, i suppose i could say the same.

Lord Stafford.

I have my problems with GoF. I have problems with basically every film ever, loll, it happens! It's just how it is.

Mine mainly consist of dialogue and direction. The acting seems to take a step backward from PoA oddly.

I won't go into great detail because I don't HATE or dislike the film. I still love every Potter film.
    Thanks, man. It was a good idea, though, someone apparently wants it to be deleted, for whatever reason. Which is to say... there isn't one.

Lord Stafford.

Thanks, man. It was a good idea, though, someone apparently wants it to be deleted, for whatever reason. Which is to say... there isn't one.

Lord Stafford.
    No, it's perfectly fine.
    I agree with a lot of this, except the score which it seems I'm an odd one out when I say I really liked it. That opening score with the WB logo and the Potter logo is beautifully dark, so yeah, I loved the score tbh.

But yes, there were things that still bothered me:

There was quite some unnecessary humor. I know you'll point to part 2 and some scenes, but this one has much more imo. I could list a lot, but I'll name a few: world cup dancing and singing, CLEAR THE RUNWAY, Filch running, skeeter, the dance practices, fred and george fight, etcetc.
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,803 mod
    I adore GOF. I just love it as this epic, grand adventure that ends in such a dark manner. One of my favorites of the film series. :)

• p.s. @horcruxwanderer stop trying to start shit.

How am I making shit you cretin, just cos I call someone out for being unfair you start giving me chew. Be quiet.
  • RichardRichard Posts: 48,640 mod
    I adore GOF. I just love it as this epic, grand adventure that ends in such a dark manner. One of my favorites of the film series. :)
    WOOT RY!
  • PumpkinjuicePumpkinjuice Posts: 2,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was quite some unnecessary humor.
    That is a given with a Kloves script.

Naturally, but from all of his I would call this one the worst.
  • Festax0333Festax0333 Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i skip to the maze scene

from the maze on its splendid
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
    i skip to the maze scene

from the maze on its splendid
    I would have taken some time out of the first task and added it to the third/graveyard.

I wouldn't. While I hated the dancing and singing at the world cup, I really liked Rita Skeeter, the yule ball scenes and Moody turning Malfoy into a ferret. The latter was pure comedy gold.
    edited October 2011

I wouldn't. While I hated the dancing and singing at the world cup, I really liked Rita Skeeter, the yule ball scenes and Moody turning Malfoy into a ferret. The latter was pure comedy gold.
    The dancing practices, filch running in the great hall, VIKTOR I LOVE YOU, the whole Harry and Ron back and forth came off as comedic in the film while in the book it was filled with tension, and more. That's why it's the worst from Kloves to me.
    Post edited by Martin1 on
    I found it refreshing with a break from all the darkness and seriousness.
    I found it taking away from what could've been darker and more serious. The movie sets up this dark tone in the first minute, then gives way to lighthearted dancing. That's fine as they are 14, but it keeps this back and forth from very dark to very light which I don't like in spots throughout the film.

I found it taking away from what could've been darker and more serious. The movie sets up this dark tone in the first minute, then gives way to lighthearted dancing. That's fine as they are 14, but it keeps this back and forth from very dark to very light which I don't like in spots throughout the film.
    I refer to the middle section of the film. What you describe sounds like HBP to me, which I have always felt pretty meh about.
  • AshAsh Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the attack at the Quidditch World Cup and the Second Task, the Third Task and the aftermath of Cedric's death.
  • blackvenomblackvenom Posts: 3,257
    Goblet is a weird case. There are some improvements compared to the previous three films: it's the most action-packed film, the art direction, the makeup and the visual and sound effects are pretty great, there are memorable sequences and it's the most entertaining Harry Potter film. But, it's an extremely average film and the only one in the series I would easily call a popcorn flick. Though it's massively better than most of the blockbusters that are released each year, it lacks passion.

The editing is below average. The first 15-20 minutes of the film are extremely rushed, while the middle section drags in some parts and the only part with good pacing is the whole Maze/Graveyard/Moody revelation sequence. Secondly, the acting is way too over-the-top and quite ridiculously bad compared to PoA. I don't know why they gave such horrid performances, especially the children. PoA had its cringe-worthy moments, but at least we saw all three of them improving. In GoF, it's a step backwards.
    Furthermore, the characterization is beyong awful. The most obvious example is Michael Gambon's performance. Dumbledore was on his period in GoF while he was calm in all the other films? No, it's bad direction.
    The humor is unbearably cheesy. With the exception of some successful moments (Snape in the Great Hall, Malfoy turned into a ferret), the rest of it is so over-the-top and cringe-worthy. Several lines are also bad. 'Everything's going to change now, isn't it?', with a smile. Nice job, Newell.
    The cinematography is really mediocre. The only good shots were the establishing CGI shots of the castle and the triwizard tournament locations. The rest was terribly dull and uninteresting. Although OotP didn't look good in many scenes, at least there was a purpose behind the use of all these blues and washed out color palettes, even if it wasn't really successful. GoF's cinematography doesn't have anything to say in a 'visual' way. The score has some good moments as well, but the majority of it is over-the-top bombastic 'I want to be like John Williams' stuff.
    Last but not least, it's the adaptation itself that is severely lacking. The Barty Crouch subplot was so interesting in the book and it was actually a nice twist in the end. What did we get? Some cheap 'foreshadowing' moments and a terrible performance by David Tennant. Also, where was Sirius Black? This was another great subplot that was missing. The meeting with Snape in the end, the gathering of the Order members, Fudge's growing paranoia...Important stuff was missing, because these were about the story. Instead, we had to watch an almost endless dragon chase scene over the entire castle, as if that was possible to happen in the book. Not that it isn't eye-catching, but seriously, reduce that typical blockbuster crap and give me some depth and something better story-wise.

I know it sounds like I hate the film, but I don't. If anything, its strongest parts are the technical aspects which are all pretty amazing. The visual effects, the sound editing and mixing, the makeup, the costumes and the art direction were all spectacular and made the film such a thrill to watch. The very dark foreboding atmosphere and the entertainment factor were also there, making it a good film to watch and have fun. The score also had its moments and there were definitely some strong acting moments, for instance Ralph Fiennes, Miranda Richardson, Alan Rickman, Maggie Smith and Brendan Gleeson's performances. But these positive aspects are not enough. The structure and the rhythm of the film are disappointing, it's an incoherent chaotic film, while its story is reduced to a very basic storyline: there's a tournament, someone put Harry's name in the goblet, he has to face three tasks, he doesn't speak to Ron (some of the most horribly acted scenes in the series, by the way), students are flirting, people die for whatever reason, Mad-Eye is not Mad-Eye and Voldemort is back. Where is all the complexity of the story? Where is some decent character development? GoF was at a very important point in the series and it had to respect Cuaron's effort and the much more interesting and deep source material, but it failed to do so. As a stand-alone film, it's all fun, exciting, funny, action-packed, dark and enjoyable, but compared to films like Prisoner of Azkaban, Half-Blood Prince and the Deathly Hallows films (and even Philosopher's Stone), all films that are undoubtedly flawed, it is extremely average.
  • FireflyFirefly Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭
    I have a lot of problems with this film. After Alfonso's dark turn with POA, I kind of expected that to continue.

Certain elements of GOF are very, very good. For the record I do not hate GOF.

I love every Snape scene, and god knows why they cut that scene with him and Karkaroff at the Yule Ball. Great tension building scene there.

After the maze scene, I'm pretty content with the film. I felt like this is the film I should be watching. Dark and gritty.

From what we know of deleted scenes, I think GOF could be vastly improved with a true extended version.
    image image
  • AllStar87AllStar87 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    I love GOF. I mean, there are problems. The whole feel to the movie was dark. Dan's acting was sometimes cringe worthy but Steve Kloves might be blamed for some of the cheesy lines. Newell's directing got us in the right direction. It's a very christmas Harry Potter film. The whole film together, I really don't have problems.
  • JoshieJoshie Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Yes, I love GOF but there was alot of problems...the Ron and Harry fight was definitely the worst scene in the movie for me, very cringe-worthy.
    Post edited by Joshie on
  • I kind of always disliked most of GOF because I had this vague notion that it has less details and was more poorly made than the other films.
    That was before I'd seen it in Bluray. After watching it on Bluray, I seemed to noticed soooo many more details I never saw. I think the transfer on the old DVD was so bad it tricked me into disliking the film.
    Photobucket
    Why did Harry cross the Forbidden Forest? To get killed by ME!
    I thought the Harry and Ron fight was good but not great. Dan was more convincing the Rupert in that scene.
    I could do without Ron's "piss off", but the fight isn't even remotely bad.
  • AshAsh Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're a right foul git, you know that?
    You think so?
    I know so!
    Anything else?
    Yeah, stay away from me!

LMFAO
  • TheDoctorTheDoctor Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're a right foul git, you know that?
    You think so?
    I know so!
    Anything else?
    Yeah, stay away from me!

LMFAO
    Lol I hate the fight. I think it's so bad in every sense. I like the film though.
  • BaneBane Posts: 9,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    uh yeah the point is that they're pointlessly mad at each other over nothing and thus have no solid remarks, nor do they mean any of it. so it's drivel.
    the chinese fireball.....oooeehhhh
    Epic, eh? B-)
  • aaronaaron Posts: 20,945 mod
    GOF is....a wild card. It can be immensely enjoyable and also very convoluted. It has both strong and weak points. The weakest point of the film is by far the screenplay. Filled with a lot of cheesy, obnoxious, and downright unfunny moments, the screenplay is all over the place. The acting seemed to be a step down from the last installment, because Emma's eyebrows were doing the tango half the film and everyone was sort of crazy. Again, these could be attributed to either the screenplay or the direction. The hair was all over the place. Also, I didn't like the way that Newell relied a lot on visual darkness rather than a dark, emotionally barren tone the way OOTP did. The adaptation was rather bad, but what can you expect from a 700-page book to a 2.5 hour film?

However, there are some great standouts in the film. The Grayeyard scene and the opening scene are high points, filled with dark humor, graveness, and brilliantly-acted performances. VFX in the film are top notch like always. It had a very wintry feel, helped in part by the candy-coated music; sometimes over-the-top, sometimes just right. Cinematography was enjoyable, nothing extremely special though. These moderate, average elements combined to make a surprisingly well film. However, GOF does serve its main purpose: to entertain, and slowly progress the series into a strengthening maturity. GOF doesn't include the artistic details or vision that the later films possess, so one doesn't have to look into small things such as dialogue, camera angles, and editing techniques to immerse themselves fully. They can sit back and enjoy the ride, because if one looks too far into GOF, they find all sorts of problems. Which is why it is best to sit back and enjoy the thrilling, entertaining, visceral and dazzling installment. Is it a well-made film? Pretty much. Does it have its problems? Yes, but apart from the raunchy dialogue, most of them are only noticeable by the extreme nitpickers, which, after 6 years of release, has come to light. Does it reach the artistic and creative caliber of the later films? No. But it did indeed serve its purpose and kept non-readers hooked to the series, where a certain amount of thought became necessary to process the later, more intricate films.
    imageimageimage
  • Pensieve SeekerPensieve Seeker Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭
    If it wasn't for the GoF movie, I never would've started reading the books so, for that, it'll always hold a special place in my heart. (That's my figurative heart, not my literal one.) The only thing I can think of at the moment that I would change because it annoys me is fake Moody's tongue flicking. It's like he's holding a big sign that reads "There's something wrong with me!"
    Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Pottermore user name: SilverQuest212
    edited October 2011
    Yeah GOF is really a turning point in the series of entertainment purpose. After that I was instantly hooked like you.
    Post edited by AllStar87 on
    To me Goblet of Fire is our Spiderman 3

Except that GoF is a much much better film.

• decarusdecarus Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭
    Dumbledore w as the worst part of this film for me. He was just bizarre in this one. The second would be the boys hair which was awful. I also don't think it makes sense in the film why Ron is just really mad at Harry all of a sudden. I don't think they explain that properly. I also dislike some of the costumes. Like the outfits for the students from the other schools, but that isn't really that important.

The maze and graveyard scene are amazing in this film. Rita is amazing. The ball is great even with some of the weirdness in it. Harry is great when he is trying to get with Cho. The dance lesson is funny and Ron trying to ask Hermione out. A lot of good here even with the issues.
  • Festax0333Festax0333 Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    il take

princes tale, forest again, battlefield, courtyard apocalypse, statues, grey lady, gringotts and the final duel as opposed to harry getting with cho chang and dancing lessons, but thats just me i guess lol
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Dumbledore is the only part of GOF that I dislike, that and probably the score, except Harry in Winter, which is one of my all time favourite HP tracks
  • decarusdecarus Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2011
    Do you ever say anything constructive festax? You are so rude.
    Post edited by decarus on