Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla
Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

What to expect this month.

2»

Comments

• AshAsh Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hear the Pipe Cleaner Crafts Ahoy! sequel will be available this year, I'll be camping out for sure.

OMG YESSSS!!!!! I cant wait!!!! Oh and Battletoads...BATTLETOADS!!!!
    image image

Bahahaha XD
    Can't wait for DH2 this month!!!!!! asfgcfsfcd :D

Oh wait, I'm in the UK...
    WB...image

• PopkinPopkin Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    I can't do Black Friday anymore. I put in 4-5 good years and now I'm done. Screw it, I'll pay extra to stay in my warm bed. It's too flippin' cold for me now. :P

I haven't gone hardcore on Black Christmas in a few years...the last time I did I wrestled an older lady for an illuminated Santa and Sleigh...lol. On a sad note I also seen an elderly woman get trampled one year :(
    LOL wrestling people for lawn decor - that's the Christmas spirit!

....And that poor, poor old woman :(
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Part 2 Blu Ray
    Metal Gear Solid HD editions
    THE IRON BOWL - WDE!
    And thanksgiving along with the 2 I posted from earlier
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

• I'm so looking forward to DH2 and Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7 :)
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,791 mod
    I'm so looking forward to DH2 and Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7 :)
    Sameeeee XD hahaha Friiiidayyy...Fridayyyyy....

• RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,791 mod
    @ryguy LOLOL, wrestled an old lady?! The Christmas lighting game is no joke!
    It is no laughing matter...when it came to Christmas decorating...I would have knocked her out with a christmas tree is I had to...MWOOHAHAHHA

• SwedishSkinJerSwedishSkinJer Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭
    The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part I. Come on, you know you'll all be there...
  • BaneBane Posts: 9,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part I. Come on, you know you'll all be there...
    Honestly, yes.
    I went to see New Moon and Eclipse due to coercion from my nieces. Are you going for any particularly redeeming reason?
  • PumpkinjuicePumpkinjuice Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2011
    Coercion. Pfft. Lame excuse :P
    Post edited by Pumpkinjuice on
    edited November 2011
    Are you going for any particularly redeeming reason?
    Absolutely.

Twilight is a phenomenon and one of the most clever money-grabs in the history of consumerism. You have a writer who accidentally tapped in to deep and dark female desire and put a face on it, and as such, it spread like a terminal cancer and brainwashed women (and unfortunately some men) who don't know jack fucking shit about literature or storytelling into thinking that it is acceptable writing. Listening to someone talk about how much they like Twilight is akin to someone sucking the shit out of a platypus' asshole with a smile on their face. There is no plot, the characters are well-defined and yet ludicrous all at once, the dialogue is so cringe-worthy that the first book almost sent me into violent seizures, and apart from "living happily ever after" there is absolutely no goal or resolution to be found anywhere.

To top things off, Breaking Dawn carries the following message: give into your selfish desires and fuck anything, everything, and anyone who tries to get in your way. After all, it's perfectly a-ok to give up the humanity and blood that your mother and father gave you in favor of being with an undead vampire just because he's hot. It's a-ok to make decisions that completely distances yourself from your family, decisions that destroys any and all bonds to carrying out the human life that your parents gave you. I absolutely loved reading about Charlie Swan, the only character in these god-forsaken books worth a complete shit, a middle-aged, divorced man trying to have a life with his one and only daughter, getting fucked out of that because SHE decided that she wanted to die and become a vampire so that she can live happily for all eternity as an empty shell of a woman. What an excellent thing to write about, Steph.

Yes, this is fiction and no, you cannot really become a vampire, but Breaking Dawn's message is inherently broken because the writer is a fucking moron who tried to give her piece of shit narrative some moral weight, but what she wrote cannot actually apply to anyone. The difference between points and lessons in Twilight and other books is that in other books, the lessons and commentary can actually apply to people. Look at Harry Potter. Harry Potter is about how, no matter who you are or what hand you are dealt, if you have the will and love and persistence, you can accomplish anything. Twilight teaches you that it's fine to abandon your humanity and family in order to become an immortal, emotionless pile of bones and that your family will "get over it" because that's what YOU want and that's what matters the most, everyone else be damned.

So yes. To answer your question, I will be there. I find it too utterly fascinating and horrifying to avoid. Watching legitimate filmmakers try to make heads or tails of Meyer's sack of dried cow manure is too fucking hilarious to ignore.
    Post edited by Bane on
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will. I've seen them and read the books to have an opinion.

Yep, that's how fucking sweet I am. I tortured myself through reading and watching Twilight so I could formulate a fair opinion.

B-)
    Yep, that's how fucking sweet I am. I tortured myself through reading and watching Twilight so I could formulate a fair opinion.
    This is what I had to do. I mean, I knew how awful it was before I saw one second of footage or read one sentence from one of the books, but every time I would get into a discussion about it, it always boiled down to "well you don't know, you haven't read them."

Well, guess what bitches? I took the liberty to subject myself to your depressing choice of entertainment just for the sole ability to mock you and kick your teeth in.

This is what I had to do. I mean, I knew how awful it was before I saw one second of footage or read one sentence from one of the books, but every time I would get into a discussion about it, it always boiled down to "well you don't know, you haven't read them."

Well, guess what bitches? I took the liberty to subject myself to your depressing choice of entertainment just for the sole ability to mock you and kick your teeth in.
    EXACTLY! Oh this moment just happened last week when I watching Footloose with my friends and a BD Part 1 trailer came up and they were getting excited. I just began my rant and they told me to shut up because I knew nothing.

Well guess what fuckers, I know more than you do. That's fucking right, I'm one hell of an arrogant bastard, but I definitely know more than you if you are going to sit there and call this quality literature or film.
    The sad part is that we probably know more about Twilight than they do. Seriously. All they see is a lot of GREAT ROMANCE but we actually see everything as an organic whole.

Which to say is actually not organic in the slightest.
    If I were ever to see Breaking Dawn, it would not be solely to see the spectacle of Bill Condon's handling of the material. In retrospect, it's not as if his involvement is entirely surprising -- his films, especially some of the earlier ones, are pulpy and not divorced from the balls-out insanity of the birth sequence -- but after he made something as emotionally truthful as Kinsey, it seems to me a step back to become associated with Twilight. What unsettles me even more is that, in interviews, Condon talks about the passion, intimacy and emotional truthfulness of said source material.

I can't help but lose a little bit of interest in his career.
    I'm only curious about Part 2 of Breaking Dawn. Part 1 looks like a complete shitter and probably will be, but I want to see if they actually have a battle or pussy out like Meyer did.
    Condon talks about the passion, intimacy and emotional truthfulness of said source material.
    Fuck yes. Nothing excites me more to hear that the director is actually taking it seriously. Holy fucking shit this will be the cinematic event of our time!

It's already been confirmed that they're going to substantially alter the battle in Part 2. They've already amped up the conflict in Part 2, if you haven't yet noticed - Sam and his wolf pack, now at odds with Jacob, have tension with Bella in the book, but in the film they act on it more viciously by trying to attack her directly (watch the more recent television spots: there's a tease between the Cullen family and the wolves fighting head-on). Melissa Rosenberg & Co are going to make the interaction between the Volturi and the witnesses have more elements of action to it.

Of course, Meyer has long maintained that the non-battle in Part 2 adheres to classical tropes, especially in Shakespeare's work, where the characters clash and retreat to collect themselves, and is consistent with the "chess" theme all but established on the book's cover, so I can't imagine her being fully happy over such an adaptation.
    I'll be there but I feel like I'm preparing to go to a funeral
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

• FireflyFirefly Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

I'll be there but I feel like I'm preparing to go to a funeral
    The death of several hundred brain cells.

image image
    I also read every book and have watched every movie just so I can justify my harsh criticism

• JoshieJoshie Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm having fun with uc3! Eh I might get Mw3
    Movies seen in 2014
    Wolf of Wall Street - B- [1/2/14]
    Lone Survivor - A+ [1/17/14]
    Jack Ryan - C+ [1/20/14]
    Ride Along - A-[1/24/14]
    Anchorman 2 - B-[1/24/14]
    Robocop - B+ [2/14/14]