Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla
Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

This Is It (My Review)

Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 26,633 mod
edited July 2011 in Movies
This is the page on which i'm posting my thoughts and overall review of the film. Right now, it is THE page with a name and it is also here for you to ask me questions (should you wish to) for which, i will now answer.

The summary:

This is probably the most powerful and emotional film that i've ever seen. I teared up, i must admit, but one thing i will say, is that it needed a little more length to it and alot, and i do mean alot less comedy.

Things i liked:

Everything.

The music.

Ralph, Alan and Michael.

The Princes Tale.

The Forest Again and Kings Cross.

The Oscar standard performances.

The panning shots. Not only of Hogwarts, but of everything.

The whole cryworthy nature of the entire film.

The fact that once Ron and Hermione kissed, they became a couple very much in love, constantly gazing at each other. They finally confirmed one anothers love and they seemed to enjoy holding hands.

Things i disliked:

It ended.

The cringeworthy comedy.

There was no final Hogwarts shot.

It was too short, we didn't have enough time to let it settle in.

My top 5 and favourite moments:

1. The Princes Tale.

2. Kings Cross.

3. The Forest Again.

4. The final duel and confrontation.

5. Anything else with Ralph, Alan and Michael in it.

The verdict:

9.5/10.

It could have been more, but i'm happy for now.

Ask away. I'm ready, willing and able.

Lord Stafford.
Post edited by Lord Stafford on

Comments

• MacMac Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭
    Things i disliked:
    What did not work:
    My least favourite moments:

WOW thats a lot dude.
  • Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 26,633 mod
    No, it isn't. In order to have a review you have to talk about everything, not just on how good it was.

Lord Stafford.
  • MacMac Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭
    No, it isn't. In order to have a review you have to talk about everything, not just on how good it was.

Lord Stafford.
    I know that...but those things can be just on one category.Nevermind:)

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to read what you though Stafford.
    The official review:

It starts off with an unmemorable opening, one that wasn't needed and one that didn't make you feel anything other than when you see Snape in the tower with Lilys Theme playing in the background. Then it cuts to Shell Cottage, beautifully, i might add. With a hell of a lot of what i felt to be neccesary dialogue because of what was to come (how wrong i was) It picks up once they reach Gringotts, and immediately, you realise how good this film is going to be, and that is just in the alleyway. The only piece of comedy that actually worked in the entire film was with their entrance into the bank, even though it still contained lots of tense moments as the goblins and guards began to realise that an imposter was around. The dragon was well done, and i think many will agree with me when i say that it was so 'well done' that it actually made me feel for the dragon and cheer when it killed that unfortunately placed goblin. There was a well received Hermione cleavage moment (sorry, i couldn't resist) and overall, the scene was, like Slughorn would say... 'wondrous to behold'

This is when it really starts to pick up, the dragon of course escapes, and there is an incredible amount of splendid cinematography to go around. For the first time, you start to feel Voldemorts anger and the scene of which i will not describe to you is rather disturbing. All i will say, is that Voldemort finally speaks Parseltongue, and even if it isn't Ralph talking, which it isn't in the credits, it's still all good and freaky. One fantastic bit is when Harry emerges from the water, still seeing him and then accounts to Ron and Hermione that Voldemort is feeling vulnerable, but still even more dangerous. We head to Hogsmeade next, and Aberforth emerges to our Trio. We then get another pleasant and quiet dialogue scene, even if it is only Ron and Hermione who are being quiet. The Room of Requirement it the final scene before the impending doom that is the Battle of Hogwarts, this is our last moment of sanity and it ends with Harry meeting the twisted Grey Lady who eventually succumbs and provides him with a riddle, no pun intended. It cuts to the fantastic shot of Voldemort with his Death Eaters on the cliff, and it plays out much like what we've already seen, however, it somehow overshadows the other versions. A quick recap for you. Voldemort destroys the protections, but as he does so, he almost destroys the wand as well. He also kills Pius Thicknesse, and this is a real and true sign to the extent of the evil being that he is, even the other Death Eaters are looking surprised, though i don't know why, because this is Voldemort we're talking about here. He, alone with Nagini then apparates to the Boathouse, though you don't see it yet, you know it anyway.

The Battle then begins, it is hectic and all hell breaks loose with the immersive Courtyard Apocalyse playing throughout many of the few action sequences (as if Imax wasn't enough) There is a previous disturbance also, and both of which include Voldemort, but only one of which i will divulge, he enters and invades the heads of two rather unfortunate girls as he makes the first of his two ultimatums. This is after Minerva and Severus face off, which is both underwhelming and fake looking with the fireballs. The Chamber of Secrets is up next, finally ending with Ron and Hermiones long awaited kiss and a little giggle (everyone cheered, including me) along with Harry being here, there and everywhere, all over the castle. The ROR kiss is up next, but Harry perhaps doesn't know of Ron and Hermione until Ron becomes a screaming wreck, shouting... 'Grrr, that's my girlfriend, you numbties!' after Goyle casts the devilish killing curse at her. It's amazing how one kiss with her automatically means that she is you're girlfriend, isn't it? How i wish it was that easy for me. This moment is appropriately accompanied with Hermiones face full of pride, unless, of course, you consider that if they don't hurry up and run for their lives, they're about to be killed by Fiendfyre, as Ron so puts... 'Ahh, he's set the bloody place on fire' none of these remotely made me laugh, but people being the way people are nowadays... will laugh at anything, no matter how ridiculous and unfunny it truly is.

After this, Ron tells Harry to look inside Voldemort. He willingly does so, and sees him in the Boathouse with Lucius, ordering him to bring Snape to the Dark Lord. The Trio prepare themselves and immediately after Ron has a little kick aabout with the Diadem... they head off quickly to the Boathouse. Already, by this point i'm thinking... 'What the Hell! Are we really this far into the movie?' Voldemort is talking to Snape in the Boathouse and this precedes Snapes death along with the following Princes Tale. Now, i will not go into any particular detail to ruin it for anybody who hasn't seen it. Those are a few i can guess and hope. There is passion in Alan Rickmans work, that we know, and he deserves an Oscar for this performance alone. He, along with Ralph Fiennes who after killing Snape with Nagini, makes his final ultimatum, which is even more terrifying than the last one. Both these two scenes made me tear up and i am not ashamed to admit it, even though i am a twenty year old mature male. Harry finds out his inevitable fate and shares an apparent final golden moment with Ron and Hermione. This is well done, beautiful. There are many walks across the main Courtyard in this film, but the one that stands out for me is when Harry is striding across it... to 'confront his fate'

Lord Stafford.
    The official review (continued)

We then approach the forest and he meets his long lost parents along with his godfather and Remus Lupin after temporarily resurrecting them with the Resurrection Stone, who we had previously seen dead, along with Tonks and Fred Weasley, for whom, Ron is devastated whilst Harry keeps away, staying with his internal torment and backing off as Minerva comes towards him. Plus, Lavender is also found dead, eaten in cold blood by Greyback. Harry does 'confront his fate' and allows himself to be 'killed' by the Dark Lord. A blank white screen seemingly appear out of the non literal blue, and Harry sees a foetus that is bearing a striking resemblance to the child Voldemort of the Goblet of Fire, though, this time... it is covered in blood and even more mangles than before. Then, Albus Dumbledore comes before him and they re affirm their relationship with a conversation that that perhaps equals the books version, though not quite beating it. We return to reality and Narcissa Malfoy is shown going up to Harrys limp body, asking him if Draco is alive. We do not hear a reply. The procession begins and we see another courtyard walk, this time with Neville looking out into the distance as he sees Voldemort, his Death Eaters and Hagrid approach. Neville shows his loyalty and defies the Dark Lord well, before being thrown off by Voldemort himself. Voldemort and Draco share a hug and everyone but me ridiculously laughed when Narcissa said 'Draco, come' Well, you know what they say... dirty minds think alike. We then find out that Narcissa had in fact, lied to the Dark Lord... as Harry jumps and immediately falls over after jumping out of Hagrids arms. He then gives Voldemort the finger as begins to use and display to others, his parkour skills.

The final confrontation commences, as the final battle also does. Voldemort apparates with Nagini to wherever Harry had gone, and they begin to duel all over the castle until Voldemort gets hold of him (quite literally) as he beats him up. The 'Together' line finds it's way and thus... they fly all over the castle, through the battlements, until they reach the courtyard, where they duel.

Now, i felt i needed this last paragraph or two, to recap the final duel. We see Bellatrix turn to glass as she is destroyed by Molly with using her famous 'Bitch' line against her (again, everyone cheered, and that included me) Nagini is also destroyed and turned to ash as she chases after Ron and Hermione before Neville lashes out at her with the Sword of Gryffindor. This is all happening in between what is also happening in the courtyard... both Harry and Voldemort are battling it out against the other, but ultimately... another force is entwined within, not Love, this time it is because of his Horcruxes that Voldemort suffers a gruesome death. Not by the hands of Harry, but by himself.

There is a short scene of Harry walking into the Great Hall afterwards, and he hugs Hagrid, as Filch begins to clear up the rubble. Then, the Trio exit and talk on the Viaduct, and everyone thinks Harry is about to commit suicide as he nears the edge of the bridge. We fade to black, and '19 years later' appears on the screen, and naturally... everyone becomes tense. The station from COS appears out of the black and when we see the many bodys of people, including the kids... Leaving Hogwarts begins. Everyone laughs as we see Harry, Ginny, then Draco and his family and finally... Ron and Hermione. The end of our childhood begins as the train for the final time departs and it once again fades to black, with Hegwigs Theme playing for the credits. Thank you, Harry... for everything.

Lord Stafford.
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic review! I'm really glad you liked it, despite your worries :D

I actually thought the comedy was good. I laughed for a bit, smiled at some, but I didn't think any of it was terrible.
  • What would you give it out of 10, stafford?
    What would you give it out of 10, stafford?
    It says 9.5/10 on the first post.
  • What would you give it out of 10, stafford?

It says 9.5/10 on the first post.
    oh. :">
  • SlanteeSlantee Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭
    I'm SO glad you liked it Stafford. So bloody glad.
  • GodricGryffindorGodricGryffindor Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm SO glad you liked it Stafford. So bloody glad.
    Same here, Staffs!
    IT WAS AMAZING!

G.G.
    Haha, i love you guys. :-S

Lord Stafford.

I actually thought the comedy was good. I laughed for a bit, smiled at some, but I didn't think any of it was terrible.
    If i was to say that my least favourite scene was in the ROR, it's because of the comedy. It ruins the atmosphere for me.

Lord Stafford.

If i was to say that my least favourite scene was in the ROR, it's because of the comedy. It ruins the atmosphere for me.

Lord Stafford.
    Eh, just different tastes. There was only one line of comedy though in the RoR :/
  • BraveheartBraveheart Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭
    I actually didn't find there was much comedy in the movie at all. Or maybe it's just that the last 45 minutes of the movie were so sad and gloomy that it overrode the comedy.
    edited July 2011
    One of the best reviews!
    Thank you, Richard. The film went out with a bang, and i felt like i needed to do the same. :-D

Lord Stafford.
  • VinceVince Posts: 292
    Great review! I think the comedy would have been far better if my audience hadn't laughed uproariously at just about everything. I think there was too much comedy at the beginning of the battle to be absolutely fine, but I think the tragedy and severity of the matter quickly becomes clear, and for that reason I can excuse it. Thankfully, here we have a film where the dramatic, emotionally charged and even tragic moments make up for that comedy. I thought it was just great and agree with you on the oscar standard acting.
    Well, my friend and i both came out happy, but he felt that at times the comedy ruined the atmosphere of tense situations, and i can't help but agree unfortunately. Overall, it is outweighed by the severity of the war.

Lord Stafford.
  • Festax0333Festax0333 Posts: 11,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • aaronaaron Posts: 20,939 mod
    Aw, Stafford, I'm so happy you saw sense! Loved your review!
    imageimageimage
  • Accio_LogAccio_Log Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭
    Aw, Stafford, I'm so happy you saw sense! Loved your review!
    :-W

Lord Stafford.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2011
    The official review:

The dragon was well done, and i think many will agree with me when i say that it was so 'well done' that it actually made me feel for the dragon and cheer when it killed that unfortunately placed goblin.....and overall, the scene was, like Slughorn would say... 'wondrous to behold'

Lord Stafford.
    I agree. The dragon scene was very well done. It's one of my favorite scenes.
  • IrishMadePunkIrishMadePunk Posts: 1
    Hey People. I was wondering if you could all go check out a movie review I made on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 on youtube, and tell me if you disagree/agree with anything I said.

Here is the link:
  • Nemesis_NickNemesis_Nick Posts: 23
    edited September 2011
    I saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 at my local cinema Tuesday 19 July (i.e. 4 days after UK release). Just like the last few films, much of it was "all Greek to me". For the record, I've now seen all eight films at my local cinema as they were released, but have never read any of the books. I have several comments / questions arising from watching the latest film.

1) About two thirds of the way through, there was a lot of flitting back and forth between seemingly random clips, which totally confused me. What was the meaning of all that?

2) The Professor didn't like Harry returning to Hogwarts in the final year and warned other students that if they got involved in his antics, they'd be disciplined. Why was that? What was the Professor worried about?

3) Close to the end, Harry Potter was said to be alive at Kings Cross, with dense fog around him. What was the significance of the fog? Yet at Hogwarts he was dead! At Kings Cross, Harry said he had to get back to Hogwarts. How did he get back?

4) After that, surely it was supposed to be the end of the academic year. However they didn't announce the inter-house competition winner unlike in the first film. Why not?

5) Harry, Ron and Hermione were supposed to be in their final year in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. So were all the other students who started at the same time as them in the first film / book.
    a) Why then, was there no official Leavers' Ceremony / Party for Harry's year?
    b) Why weren't the students in Harry's year given official Hogwarts Leavers 98 hoodies, as one might have thought they would? N.B. I've since found out from Wikipedia the film / book were set in the 1997/98 school year.

6) In fact, the "end" of the year was quite abrupt. Harry, Hermione and Ron were on the bridge, and suddenly it cut to the slide "Nineteen Years Later". They didn't show the trio or other students getting on the Hogwarts Express (with their luggage) to go home.

7) The bit "Nineteen Years Later" showed Harry's son going through the wall to platform 9¾. Harry was there to see his son on to the Hogwarts Express. Was this epilogue really necessary / relevant?

Quite frankly it's probably just as well it's all over now. I'm so glad there isn't another year to follow, because I dread to think how incomprehensible and perplexing that would be.
    Post edited by Nemesis_Nick on
    I am 6 ... times seven
    Were you looking for this thread? :-?

Lord Stafford.
  • I was looking for a discussion thread about Deathly Hallows Part 2 in which to post my comments and questions arising from my having watched the said film.
    I am 6 ... times seven
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭
    Nick, why don't you just read the books?
  • GodricGryffindorGodricGryffindor Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

b) Why weren't the students in Harry's year given official Hogwarts Leavers 98 hoodies, as one might have thought they would? N.B. I've since found out from Wikipedia the film / book were set in the 1997/98 school year.

I laughed
    so freaking
    hard :))

G.G.
  • RichardRichard Posts: 48,595 mod
    I saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 at my local cinema Tuesday 19 July (i.e. 4 days after UK release). Just like the last few films, much of it was "all Greek to me". For the record, I've now seen all eight films at my local cinema as they were released, but have never read any of the books. I have several comments / questions arising from watching the latest film.

1) About two thirds of the way through, there was a lot of flitting back and forth between seemingly random clips, which totally confused me. What was the meaning of all that?

A: no comment :l

2) The Professor didn't like Harry returning to Hogwarts in the final year and warned other students that if they got involved in his antics, they'd be disciplined. Why was that? What was the Professor worried about?

A: That was to show that snape was "bad" he was still playing the bad guy. He wasnt worried.

3) Close to the end, Harry Potter was said to be alive at Kings Cross, with dense fog around him. What was the significance of the fog? Yet at Hogwarts he was dead! At Kings Cross, Harry said he had to get back to Hogwarts. How did he get back?

A:The fog was to make it heavenly like, Harry returned on a Train.

4) After that, surely it was supposed to be the end of the academic year. However they didn't announce the inter-house competition winner unlike in the first film. Why not?

A: A war just occured do you think anyone cares about the house points?

5) Harry, Ron and Hermione were supposed to be in their final year in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. So were all the other students who started at the same time as them in the first film / book.
    a) Why then, was there no official Leavers' Ceremony / Party for Harry's year?

a) dark times
    b) lol

6) In fact, the "end" of the year was quite abrupt. Harry, Hermione and Ron were on the bridge, and suddenly it cut to the slide "Nineteen Years Later". They didn't show the trio or other students getting on the Hogwarts Express (with their luggage) to go home.

It was amazing.

7) The bit "Nineteen Years Later" showed Harry's son going through the wall to platform 9¾. Harry was there to see his son on to the Hogwarts Express. Was this epilogue really necessary / relevant?

A: Yes it was, it brought the series full circle.

Quite frankly it's probably just as well it's all over now. I'm so glad there isn't another year to follow, because I dread to think how incomprehensible and perplexing that would be.

• b) Why weren't the students in Harry's year given official Hogwarts Leavers 98 hoodies, as one might have thought they would? N.B. I've since found out from Wikipedia the film / book were set in the 1997/98 school year.

I laughed
    so freaking

G.G.
    What was so funny about that. Leavers' hoodies are the in thing with school leavers now. Back in mid July there were loads of school leavers walking around Bath, United Kingdom in leavers' hoodies. Therefore I'd have thought Harry's year would have got leavers' hoodies on leaving.
    I am 6 ... times seven
    We know that is the big thing surrounding leavers nowadays, but they wouldn't have them at Hogwarts.

Lord Stafford.
  • FireflyFirefly Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

I laughed
    so freaking

G.G.

What was so funny about that. Leavers' hoodies are the in thing with school leavers now. Back in mid July there were loads of school leavers walking around Bath, United Kingdom in leavers' hoodies. Therefore I'd have thought Harry's year would have got leavers' hoodies on leaving.
    The school had just been literally destroyed and the trio weren't even present for the school year.

You're either a terrible troll or (sorry) quite dumb. Harry Potter doesn't seem to be the series for you.
    image image
  • Nemesis_NickNemesis_Nick Posts: 23
    edited September 2011
    We know that is the big thing surrounding leavers nowadays, but they wouldn't have them at Hogwarts.
    Why wouldn't they have had leavers' hoodies at Hogwarts, even though in real life they are the in-thing now?
    The school had just been literally destroyed and the trio weren't even present for the school year.
    What about all the other students who started in the first year the same time as Harry, Ron and Hermione in Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone, e.g. the fair haired boy who was in Slytherin (whom I don't think Harry liked much), i.e. the rest of Harry's year? They were there for their final year, so do you not think they deserved a) a leavers' service in one of Hogwarts chapels and/or leavers' ceremony / party, and b) a leavers' hoodie each?
    Harry Potter doesn't seem to be the series for you.
    Well I've watched all eight Harry Potter films at the cinema in Bath as they came out 2001 to 2011 inclusive, but never read any of the books. Since the fourth film onwards, I've had difficulty understanding the films. As I said already, much of this final film was all Greek to me (I didn't understand it).
    Post edited by Nemesis_Nick on
    I am 6 ... times seven
    You haven't read the books, and that is why it's probably not right for you. Because you are coming up with what would happen in our schools, but not in theirs.

Lord Stafford.
  • AshAsh Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • aaronaaron Posts: 20,939 mod
    Trolling much? Nobody cares about leavers hoodies.
    imageimageimage
    edited September 2011
    @Aaron

Some people do. ;)

Lord Stafford.
  • alexdridhpalexdridhp Posts: 605 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    much of it was "all Greek to me".
    DON'T INSULT MY COUNTRY :@ ΗΛΙΘΙΕΕΕ
  • PumpkinjuicePumpkinjuice Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stafford, I didn't know that you graded it 9.5/10. I thought your feelings about it were mixed.