Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Powered by Vanilla
Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

Who is the best actor in the Harry Potter franchise?

RoupenRoupen Posts: 218
edited September 2008 in Movies
OK, I've got to ask this and please name your favorite and 4 runner-ups. You can just rank them in a top 5 form like : 1) 2) 3) 4) 5), and don't bother to make a comment. Thanks!

Here Are The (Or At Least My) Nominees for best performance in the movie (I also mentioned the movies where they give their best performance best performance, and their best performance moments performance) :

[Nominees are put in subsequent text boxes]

Comments

• RoupenRoupen Posts: 218
    Emma Thompson as Professor Trelawny : This multiple Oscar winner, who in fact is one of my favourite actresses of all time, was 1st introduced in the 3rd movie, and has been terribly underused in subsequent movies, yet we feel that she gives her character all the wierdness and stupidity it needs.She has been nominated for Oscars in modern classics like "Howards End", "The Remains Of The Day", "In The Name Of The Father", and "Sense And Sensebility" where she also won the Best Adapted-Screenplay Trophy. She'd have been awesome in HBP with several monologues but news have it she won't be appearing at all. Though she never had a line in the scene, her best acting moment was in the deleted scene in OOTP where she is listening to Umbridge's opening speech while screwing up her dinner and drink by accidentally putting her hand in them. Such a hilarious scene!

Robbie Coltraine as Professor Hagrid : Now his performance stands out from all the others from the franchise because he is the only one in the franchise to be nominated for a BAFTA Award for PS (SS) but lost to Jim Broadbent (Professer Slughorn) for Moulin Rouge. His performance in PS is the most charming though subsequent performances in COS and POA are also top notch, and he also stands out as the only actor with an American accent. The scene where he's crying for Odo in the song should be something of an item in HBP!
    Alan Rickman as Professor Snape : Best known for portraying the villian in Die Hard against Bruce Willis, Rickman gives a solid performance through the franchise. His devlish (or sexy some call it) voice gives the character its identity and uniqueness. His performance can't be classified as powerful but as chilling. He apears alot in PS, and some might consider his performance in the OOTP his best, yet I find his best acting moment to be in a brief scene in GOF wherein he finds out that the Gillyweed are missing from his office and threatens Harry : However should I ever notice you stealing from me again, my hand might as well Slip!

Gary Oldman as Sirius Black : Well this is one of those great actors (known for portraying primarily villains) the Academy has neglected for great-great performances in such classics as "Sid And Nancy" and a personal favorite "Bram Stoker's Dracula". Well his portrayal of Sirius in POA was solid, but his performance in OOTP was the one critics called a (almost) show-stealing performance. In fact his advice to Harry about good and evil was an emotional moment that got me, but my favorite scene was that including the lines, "Nice one James!" and "You've done beautifully". Now I think his performance in this franchise will be the one he will be most remembered by!
    Michael Gambon as Professor Dumbledore : I'll be expecting quite some comments about this one, but hate it or love it, Gambon gives his character a reasonable effort. Come on just recall his opening speech following the "Double Trouble" theme. In fact his long speech with his Dementor-introduction (With some of my favorite lines like "But... Happiness can be found in the darkest times") is my favorite moment in the POA movie and my favorite Albus moment. Now rumor has it his performance in HBP lacks the emotional depth it should have, but if anything (if it is indeed true, which I frankly doubt) it is totally the director's fault. Yes, Yates should demand 2nd takes until a maximum result is acheived, with advices to regulate the performance according to the atmosphere and mood. Well, I'm not saying Gambon is as good as Ian McKellen is as Gandalf, but he gives a better than average performance worthy of Dumbledore's character.

Imelda Staunton as Professor Umbridge : Only 2 years after being nominated for an Oscar for "Vera Drake", this actress signed on to portray the Devlish Dolores-Jane Umbridge. Her performance was so good, and exactly the way I imagined from the book, I actually wanted to see the movie for the 2nd time in theatres just for her performance. She was so good I had my hopes high for an Oscar nomination for her for Best-Supporting Actress, or at least at the annual BAFTAs since they tend to nominate British actors more often. But I believe a little bit more rage in her character in OOTP would've done the trick. My favourite moment is that with her arquing with Harry in the 1st DADA period (although I kind of think Radcliffe kind of ruins it at a point (at the line "I don't know, maybe Lord Voldemort")). Her performance in OOTP was one of the great performances that made the movie worth watching considering of course its rather weak Screenplay!
    Miranda Richardson as Rita Skeeter : I am aware of the fact that she had so little screen time (around 4 minutes) but she couldn't have used them any better. The 2 time Oscar nominee played the scandal-embracing (and deliciously bitchy) journalist Rita Skeeter. In GOF, she appears in a scene where she interviews the 4 Triwizard finalists. She makes herself so comfortable and friendly that she makes the finalists uncomfortable. She appears ones again just before the 1st task busting Harry and Hermoine and says something like young love. She appears one final time at the 2nd task but has no lines. It was truly a waste that she didn't appear in OOTP, since her subplot was totally cut!

Maggie Smith as Professor McGonagall : The Oscar-winning Dame Smith (perhaps best-known for her Oscar-nominated performance in the British "Gosford Park") is truly one of Britain's finest actors. She appears in every single movie in the franchise appearing most in PS and COS. She has been appearing less and less with every film. The only problem, considering an Academy Award, is that she also has little roles (which sort of lacks great emotions) in the last few books, tough I think the bit with her and Ron dancing is great. So had the role been more cared about, she'd have definitely been an Oscar contender, considering the fact that she is one of those actresses (the likes of Kathy Bates, Judi Dench, Nicole Kidman, Toni Collette, Emma Thompson, Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchet...) that perform almost every single one of the roles they take over perfectly!
    Not mentioned : Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter (Though he does give a reasonable performance in POA, GOF, and OOTP, his performance is short of Solid, though rumor has it he gives a good performance in HBP) , Emma Watson as Hermoine Granger (Though she gave quite a performance in the 1st 2 movies as Harry's brainy friend, her performance saw a great downfall in OOTP where she had litle screentime and a few plain and unemotional lines to say) , Helena Bonham-Carter as Bellarix Lestrange (Her performance was delicious in OOTP but she barely had 2-3 minutes of screen time, so it was more of a cameo) , Richard Harris as Professor Dumbledore (Now many would prefer him over Gambon yet Harris (formerly also a singer) seemed so tired in both PS and COs especially in the latter [RIP Harris]), Julie Walters as Molly Weasly (Good performance but way too much screaming and few emotions. It's the writer's fault, she's a great actress).

I didn't mention Ralph Fiennes's awesome portrayal of Lord Voldemort because he is a semi-human character)
  • LESTRANGELESTRANGE Posts: 221
    1. Imelda Staunton (she is Umbridge in person!)
    2. Helena Bonham Carter (remarkable performance, incredibly haunting, WOW - barely in the fifth film but unforgettable)
    3. Robbie Coltrane (Just like I always imagined Hagrid)
    4. Maggie Smith (so amusing as McGonnagal)
    5. Kenneth Branagh (he portrays Lockhart wonderfully perfect)
  • Wilbo421Wilbo421 Posts: 1,157
    Oh god, this is gonna be hard...

1. Ralph Fiennes (just fantastic acting for such an admittedly small part. His enthusiasm he shows for the simple day or two of filming he does for the HP films is incredible)
    2. Alan Rickman (will probably go up to number 1 after I've seen HBP. I don't really think anything needs saying about him anway so...)
    3. Imelda Staunton (maybe not as ugly as Umbridge was supposed to be, but come on, she was just absolutley perfect for the role. She was a completely convincing bitch)
    4. Michael Gambon (ooo, controversial. I'm sorry, but he is an absolutley fantastic actor. Whether you like him or not for the part of Dumbledore is another matter, but I happen to like him in that role as well)
    5. Maggie Smith (this was a hard one. It had to be, of course, either Maggie or Robbie Coltrane. And I just couldn't let Maggie not get on this list. That would be blasphemous)
    BTW, I didn't put Walters as Molly Weasly on my list because I totally forgot about her. Awesome performance!
    And I'm no counting Ralph Fiennes because otherwise I have to also mention Dobby, because both aren't totally human!
  • To be honest, the whole adult cast is wonderfull.
    Best of the best in British acting.
    There's only a few big actors now who haven't appeared somewhere in the films.
  • Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Waston.
    I've noticed after the release date change only 2 or 3 people are visiting the site.
  • [quote=Roupen]You can't be serious!?[/quote]

Of course I am. They play there role exactly like in the book.
    OK then you understand nothing about acting! Sorry man!
    edited September 2008
    I'm somewhere in between you two. They're definitley not the best actors on the series, but as the movies go on, they have really filled the characters shoes brilliantly, you've got to admit. I have to say there, Emma isn't a great actress. We've had 5 movies with her already, and I've gotten so used to her acting I would be incredibly annoyed if they replaced her.

Rupert's always been pretty good and Dan finally became ALMOST totally believable in Order (there were definitley one or two cringe moments, but on the whole his acting is pretty good)

I definitley wouldn't say any of them were the best actors on the series though.
    Post edited by Wilbo421 on
  • Alan Rickman, Jason Isaacs, Maggie Smith, and Robbie Coltrane are so perfect for there roles and do the roles justice.
    Well, yeah but Emma was the best of the 3 in the 1st 2 movies!
    ...Don't agree with that. I think Ruperts always been the best of the three and Emma's always been the worst.
  • Daniel has been the best out of the three. Especially in the last two GOF and OOTP.
    [quote=Roupen]I said only the 1st 2 movies[/quote]

I know you did. Like I said, I think Rupert's always been the best and Emma's always been the worst. In all of the films. Including the first two.

And I think Dan has definitley come up to Rupert's level. Especially in Order. He was pretty damn good in Goblet as well.
    Ron sucked in the last 2 especially in the last one (Hermoine also sucked in the last 1), but Emma was the best in 1 and 2. The Critics also agree!
    No, critics say that Emma was at her best in 1 and 2, not that she was the best of the three.

And critics wouldn't agree with you about Rupert sucking in the last two. What exactly was so wrong about him in the last two?
  • TomRiddleTomRiddle Posts: 175
    Rupert Grint has always been the best, Emma Watson is an overactor, Daniel Radcliffe is amazing (post GOF) but Rupert is still better.

I still get goosebumps when I see Helena's scene when Bellatrix escapes Azkaban, she is wonderfull. Alan Rickman is amazing as ever, especially in OOTP, "Controll your emotions! Discipline your mind!" amazing scene between Radcliffe and Rickman. I can't wait to see the chase at the end of HBP. Staunton is amazing, Gambon is FANTASTIC. That scene in POA when the trio are rescuing Buckbeak, just watch Gambon, it's hilarious, Dumbledore Distracting Fudge with the strawberries that Proffesor Dippet had planted and the Trio are just frozen there thinking they have been caught out. And when he says "Well, search the skies, if you must, minister. Meanwhile, I'd like a nice cup of tea or a large brandy. Oh, executioner, your services are no longer required. Thank you." brilliant.
  • hpnaivhpnaiv Posts: 11
    Whoa. Tom, I agree with everything you just said. :)

I don't know why people forget about Rupert. To me, he is better than Emma. Everyone drools over her, but there's nothing special there. Nothing promising. I hope Rupert will show a different side when Wild Target and Cherrybomb come out. He'll be great, I know it. Just like how he was great in Driving Lessons.

It's a shame that the movies don't have much of Rupert in it. But from what I've been reading this past year, it looks like Half-Blood Prince will finally have some more Ron. :D
    No critics do agree actually!
    And Emma was also quite good in POA
  • MicroFXMicroFX Posts: 555 ✭✭
    edited October 2008
    I really didnt like driving lessons, ruperts acting was mediocre.

But he is good in the HP films.
    Post edited by MicroFX on
  • AlonseRAlonseR Posts: 19
    That's a tough one there's so many.....Richard Harris as Dumbledore in the first 2 was brilliant, he so luck what I imagined Dumbledore to be. (R.I.P).

Gary Oldman is great as Sirius Black. Emma Watson as Hermione. Rupert Grint as Ron Weasley. Tom Felton is amazing as Malfoy because you really learn to hate him. James and Oliver Phelps are the perfect people to play Fred and George.

I also think Robbie Coltrane as Hagrid is brilliant but I'd afraid the best character in the films has to be Argus Filch..........he is pure class.
  • Lupin & KingsleyLupin & Kingsley Posts: 25
    edited November 2008
    1. Alan Rickman
    2. Imelda Staunton
    3. Maggie Smith
    4 .Daniel Radcliffe
    5 .Emma Watson
    Post edited by Lupin & Kingsley on
  • 1.Daniel Radcliffe
    2.Emma Watson
    3.Rupert Grint
    4.Tom Felton
    5.Julie Walters
    6.Michael Gambon
    7.Richard Harris

:D These are my favorite actors in Harry Potter!
  • QueelieQueelie Posts: 20
    1. Alan Rickman
    2. Rupert Grint
    3. Michael Gambon
    4. Tom Felton
    5. Daniel Radcliffe
  • 1Rupert Grint
    2Gary Oldman
    3Alan Rickman
    4Daniel Radcliffe
    5Julie Walters
  • HermioneAnnGrangerHermioneAnnGranger Posts: 173
    edited August 2009
    1)Emma Watson
    2)Alan Rickman
    3)Daniel Radcliffe
    4)Michael Gambon (Although he isn't extremely mysterious and as odd as Dumbledore.)
    5)Gary Oldman
    6)Imelda Staunton
    7)Robbie Coltrane
    8)Helena Bonham Carter
    9)Julie Walters
    10)James & Oliver Phelps

Technically, I couldn't do with just five, so, I made it ten. They are all great actors and James and Oliver
    sort of count as one, don't they? As there both Fred and George ... Twins? :D

EDIT -

I can't beleive I forgot Miranda Richardson cast as Rita Skeeter. She is fabulous exactly as I imagined Rita.
    Post edited by HermioneAnnGranger on
  • CamillaCamilla Posts: 44
    alan rickman (i loved his speech in the beginning of the first movie, it was like it was actually prof. snape talking)
    gary oldman (small part but amazing portrayal)
    emma watson (the perfect hermione)
    daniel radicliff
    tom felton
    james and oliver (it feels like they really are fred and george)
  • laurenjerrylaurenjerry Posts: 6
    edited July 2009
    1. Alan Rickman. So well cast. And he is just SO brilliant.
    2. Gary Oldman.
    3. Maggie Smith.
    4. Robbie Coltrane.
    5. Emma Thompson.

I forgot Helen Bonham Carter... she's amazing.

I wish Dumbeldore was better cast. The Dumbeldore in the movies is far too agressive for my liking
    Post edited by laurenjerry on
  • egernhategernhat Posts: 47
    definitely alan rickman. he just makes such an excellent snape!

• Check out my video I made for the new Harry Potter film :) It's in lego!
  • With the situation of Emma, Rupert and Dan, I think they are all great actors and shouldn't be judged by anyone - not even the critics. Because who is to judge them, let's see if they can act anywhere as good as them and then they can critisis them!

Emma has been great in Harry Potter and did a superb performance in 'Ballet Shoes'.

Dan was also fabulous in his acting on live stage and 'December Boys' was an excellent installment. As was Harry Potter.

Rupert was magnificent in all the latest Harry Potter movies, and he is going to be great in Cherry Bomb and Wild Target when they are released.

Stop judging them - don't pick on them. They are trying their best to be good Ron, Harry and Hermione we all imagined in our heads - so deal with it : )
  • edited July 2009
    I think Emma, Rupert and Dan are all fantastic, and suit their parts so well, I don't think I need to mention them. So discounting them, my favourites are:

1. Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix Lestrange. (I think she is amazing at her part, captured Rowling's originally created character, and managed to create a performance that is unforgettable, even though she was hardly in the last movie.)

2. Alan Rickman as Severus Snape. (He is perfect at portraying Snape, full stop. Exactly how I imagined him)

3. Imelda Staunton as Dolores Umbridge. (Again, just captures the character perfectly. And also manages to make you hate her, without being over the top.)

4. Julie Walters as Molly Weasley. ( She's so cute! I love her in this part, I want her to be my mum!)

5. Robbie Coltrane as Rubeus Hagrid. (Completely perfect, yet again as Hagrid. Exactly as I imagine him.)

I do think that Michael Gambon is fantastic in the character that he creates, and he plays it very well, however to me, this just isn't the Dumbledore that I imagine from the books. I think that the original Dumbledore did this better, Richard Harris.
    However, I don't know if this is because of the way that the movies have been written for Gambon's Dumbledore, and the way that he has been directed.
    Nevertheless, he is still a fantastic actor, doing a great job :)
    Post edited by MistressBellatrix on
  • Bryan97Bryan97 Posts: 15
    Emma Watson, she was the best in every movie, she shows the smartness of Hermione in every movie.
  • evanna lynch as luna lovegood is perfect! perfect! for luna!
  • ginny-x-wginny-x-w Posts: 64
    ok.
    discluding the trio it goes

helena bonham carter
    ralph fiennes
    alan rickman
    gary oldman
    evanna lynch
    julie walters
    emma thompson
    tom felton
    robbie coltrane
    imelda staunton

OME I Love em all - and michael gambon too, but i didnt put him cause i cried in HBP :'(
    he's not coming back! :'(