Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID
Powered by Vanilla
Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

Are the movies as good as the books??

edited March 2008 in Books
Do you think the movies are as good at the books?
Heres my answer NO

Comments

• SeverusSeverus Posts: 1
    No, I think the movies do not do justice to the books at all!!

OOTP Movie was absoulty crap. I loved the book and hate the movie. I hope HBP is better than OOTP as it was my favourite book.
  • No way
    the books are alot better though i still love the movies
    the movies for me into the books so i love them more for that
    books are always better though
  • ** movies GOT me into the books
    sorry. typed it wrong
  • The books are far better, which is as it should be as the movies are based on them, too much was missed out in Order of the Pheonix and I hope it doesn't happen again
  • book is better then a movie
    in movies there are a lot of things missed out
    and when i first saw all movies
    i was so disipointed

"but now i watch them all the time#
  • keetkeet Posts: 600
    I like the books better
    but the films are still amazing!
  • HP_addict23HP_addict23 Posts: 270
    not really ! it's more descriptive in the book ..
  • ginny-x-wginny-x-w Posts: 64
    never - they will never be as good - no matter how many cool effects and jokes they put in!
    PINCERS!
  • What a silly question, of course not they aren't even in the same league.

I thought Order of the Phoenix was ace especially the end!
  • NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!

No hp film will beat a hp book
  • Not only are the books better than the movies, but it's not because the movies couldn't BE better. I think the movies are over-managed with all the true creativity sucked out of them. The only thing I like them for is that the actors give some form for my imagination when I'm reading about the characters in the books.

HBP was so disappointing I may boycott the last 2. And like many on here, I've read all the books so many times I've lost count.
  • as movies in general, they are very good movies. but if you want the whole harry potter story, you're obvious best bet is the books.
  • Wilbo421Wilbo421 Posts: 1,157
    edited August 2009
    [quote=Singanddance]I think the movies are over-managed with all the true creativity sucked out of them.[/quote]

I would only agree with you on that with the first two and Goblet. They were very much high concept films (Goblet coming off much better, however, cause it was just generally much better directed and had emotion and fire that the first two did not). I do, however, feel there were vast amounts of creativity in Prisoner and ESPECIALLY in Order and Prince. Little things like apparition, the memories, different ways of shooting things, like with shaky cam etc. David Yates in particular comes off as someone very experimental with the art of film making and comes off brilliantly for it, in my view.
    Post edited by Wilbo421 on
  • The last sequel of Harry Potter is a disappointment. I almost fell at asleep watching it. So no doubt that book is far better than the movie. I was hoping to see the finale were all the students and Wizards raised their wands to show respect to dumbledore, in the book it was one solemn moment where everyone gathered to say their last farewell.
  • f cours not, reading the book is all about YOUR imagination. The film is never going to completely fulfill what you wanted. Films are still enjoyable though, I get excited :)
  • sectumsempra08sectumsempra08 Posts: 186
    edited August 2009
    [quote=groovyMAX]I almost fell at asleep watching it.[/quote]

The book was not all packed with action if you think about it, so why should they make the movie to be like that. At least they added the burrow scene to keep the ignorant people like you awake!
    Post edited by sectumsempra08 on
  • xeraphxeraph Posts: 102
    No the movies are nowhere close to the books. David Yates really needs to do a better job, has the guy ever read the books? It looks like he just took any script and ran with it. In Order of the Phoenix, which was a on the edge of your seat type book in which alot of things happened, David Yates ruined it with too much Umbridge and the room of requirement. Also, no quidditch? Yates left the part out of how Harry was banned from quidditch and had his firebolt locked up. I had to explain to my nieces and nephews (6-10 yrs old) when they asked me how come Harry just couldn't fly to London on his firebolt. Not to mention, alot happened at the ministry of magic when they went to supposedly save Sirius. The fight that Harry and them went through in the book was intense and long. They were all over the place in there and the night was long for them. Again Yates did a poor job of this, noone got hurt in the movie, except for Sirius's death. But all Harry's friends got hurt and in return did damage to some Death Eaters as well.
    And the HBP, I was hoping Yates was going to make up for it in this film. Yet, again I was upset at his poor script he chose. In the movie, it focused too much on hormones that it forgot the main reason why the book was named "The Half Blood Prince" not to mention, the key thing in the book. Dumbledores lessons on Voldemort and horcuxes and what the horcruxes could be, he shared a great deal with Harry. To defeat your enemy, you must know your enemy! At the end of the movie Harry did not know jack according to movie cause in the movie Dumbledore didn't tell him anything about what type of person Voldemort was. Also, the first kiss between Harry and Ginny, they should've followed the book, it would've been funny just to see it happen like that.
    And the ending was horrible! What happened to the deatheaters and the order of the phoenix fight, what about Bill having his face shredded, and what happened to Harry giving Ron and Hermoine the last of the Felix felices to use, instead he drank all of it, no! And Harry was not ordered to keep quiet like a woosy! He was hexed by dumbledore so that he couldn't do anything while he was under the invisibility cloak, he wanted to fight and help Dumbledore, but could not. And when the hex was broken he tore after the death eaters hitting a few with jinxes.
    Then came the ending, where was the funeral? Where was the break up between Harry and Ginny? Yates has messed up yet again! I feel he will mess up in the last 2 installments as well. Clearly the guy has never read the books. And his script writers don't have a clue how to put a story together. I know that you can't follow the book entirely when putting it on film, but at least put in the key points in the book and quit focusing on crap that doesn't matter much. Yates will ruin Harry Potter. Choose a script that is close to the storyline and shows the key points in the books!
  • hmmm i think you should write more. i dont think you wrote enough.
  • i do agree with xeraph about dumbledore stunning harry so he couldn't move to help him under the invisibility cloak they should of had that but i like how yates did it because harry thought snape would help and then he doesn't he kills dumbedore and harry hates him more but that will just show how much more he comes to respect him for what he did in the 7th when snape gives him his memories about his mom and his plan with dumbledore about the elder wand and killing him so i think they still did it good in the movie i always feel privledged when i know more about the movie because of the book, the movies are good, because lets face it if you haven't read the books and are just going by the movies what rock are you hiding under!!!!!!
  • sectumsempra08sectumsempra08 Posts: 186
    edited August 2009
    [quote=xeraph]And the ending was horrible! What happened to the deatheaters and the order of the phoenix fight[/quote]

if yates added this scene, the fight at the end of the hallows would not have as nearly as much impact as it would on viewers. if people saw this movie and then the deathly hallows part 2, both with major fight scenes at hogwarts, it would seem repetitive and uninteresting to the regular viewer of the movies.

[quote=xeraph]Then came the ending, where was the funeral?[/quote]

i think they did a terrific job of honoring dumbledore in the movie. it was very emotional. if they added the funeral as well it would have been once again repetitive.

[quote=xeraph]Where was the break up between Harry and Ginny?[/quote]

I also think because harry and ginny end up hooking up in the beginning of the seventh book, i dont think he thought it was necessary to have to break harry and ginny up and then make them get back together in the seventh movie, but instead, harry will break up with ginny in the seventh book instead of having to do it two times, because once again, it would be extremely repetitive.
    Post edited by sectumsempra08 on
  • keetkeet Posts: 600
    I think people should stop slaggiing of David Yates
    Yes he missed things out, but i thinkhe did a bloody good job
    It cant be easy trying to fit everything from the book into the film while keeping the audience entertained
    I'd like to see other people do a better job....
  • Agree get over it people love both yates is doing a great job!
  • [quote=Joanna_photographer]Agree get over it people love both yates is doing a great job! [/quote]

i agree completely. people need to understand that all parts of the book cant be covered in the movie!
  • egernhategernhat Posts: 47
    the movies are great, but not as great as the books.
  • The movies are mostly great movies. The books are always marvellous books! But honestly David Yates and the Screen-Writers aren't doing a good job making the movies like the books. Just my opinion.
  • movies are not supposed to be like the books! they are supposed to be like MOVIES!
    edited August 2009
    [quote=sectumsempra08]I also think because harry and ginny end up hooking up in the beginning of the seventh book, i dont think he thought it was necessary to have to break harry and ginny up and then make them get back together in the seventh movie, but instead, harry will break up with ginny in the seventh book instead of having to do it two times, because once again, it would be extremely repetitive.[/quote]

No, they did not hook up in the seventh book, at the beginning of the 7th book they were already broken up, but Ginny understands what Harry has to do and is doing, making her the best girlfriend! Harry wants to be with her but chooses not to because the deatheaters would harm her to get to Harry, making Harry a good boyfriend. They are actually together in the 6th book and Harry breaks it off at the end during Dumbledore's funeral. It's not repetitive sectumsempra08.

Like I said, I know that they cannot follow the book in its entirety, but put in the key points from the book, the ending break up between Harry and Ginny was supposed to be emotional too, Harry didn't want to break down in front of her while explaining his reason for the break up that he just got up and walked away. I like the movies, but Yates leaves out alot of stuff and puts in alot of stuff that doesn't matter much.

[quote=sectumsempra08]if yates added this scene, the fight at the end of the hallows would not have as nearly as much impact as it would on viewers. if people saw this movie and then the deathly hallows part 2, both with major fight scenes at hogwarts, it would seem repetitive and uninteresting to the regular viewer of the movies.[/quote]

Okay the fight at the end of book 6 is nothing to book 7, so he still could've put it in the movie. The end fight in HBP was about getting to Dumbledore and killing Dumbledore. Book 6 had a little battle between SOME of the order and SOME of the deatheaters. While book 7, was ALL the death eaters and their allies VS the order and friends of Potter (Those that were not afraid and willing to fight for a free wizarding world). And book 7, was the real war and the showdown of good vs evil, Harry vs Voldemort!

[quote=sectumsempra08]i think they did a terrific job of honoring dumbledore in the movie. it was very emotional. if they added the funeral as well it would have been once again repetitive.[/quote]

Uhm......What funeral, there was never a funeral in the HP movies and if you're referring to book 7, Dobby's burial, thats basically what it was, a burial! No fancy funeral with guests, no one knows he died only those that were present at the time of his death. A Burial, not a funeral! There is a difference my friend!
    Post edited by xeraph on
    edited August 2009
    [quote=xeraph]Okay the fight at the end of book 6 is nothing to book 7, so he still could've put it in the movie. The end fight in HBP was about getting to Dumbledore and killing Dumbledore. Book 6 had a little battle between SOME of the order and SOME of the deatheaters. While book 7, was ALL the death eaters and their allies VS the order and friends of Potter (Those that were not afraid and willing to fight for a free wizarding world). And book 7, was the real war and the showdown of good vs evil, Harry vs Voldemort![/quote]

The audience members they're changing it for aren't going to give the tiniest crap about that. It's still fighting in Hogwarts

[quote=xeraph]Uhm......What funeral, there was never a funeral in the HP movies and if you're referring to book 7, Dobby's burial, thats basically what it was, a burial! No fancy funeral with guests, no one knows he died only those that were present at the time of his death. A Burial, not a funeral! There is a difference my friend! [/quote]

It's one too many ends for Dumbledore's character after the wand lit tribute.
    Post edited by Wilbo421 on
  • [quote=sectumsempra08]movies are not supposed to be like the books! they are supposed to be like MOVIES! [/quote]

Heh. Where on earth did you get that from ... the movies originated from the BOOKs. Therefore they are supposed to be like the BOOKs. K?
    [quote=Wilbo421]It's one too many ends for Dumbledore's character after the wand lit tribute.[/quote]

The wand lit tribute was not in the book, they added that to the movie to make up for the funeral, funeral would've been better.
  • [quote=xeraph]Uhm......What funeral, there was never a funeral in the HP movies[/quote]

i never said there was a funeral in the movie.

[quote=xeraph]No, they did not hook up in the seventh book[/quote]

and yes they do hook up in the beginning of the seventh book. they make out in a room and ron walks in on them.

[quote=HermioneAnnGranger]
    Heh. Where on earth did you get that from ... the movies originated from the BOOKs. Therefore they are supposed to be like the BOOKs. K? [/quote]

what im trying to say is that movies are not made to have every exact minor detail that books have. they are supposed to be a recreation of the book to portray the main message of the story in a more simplified way. K?
    edited August 2009
    [quote=sectumsempra08]and yes they do hook up in the beginning of the seventh book. they make out in a room and ron walks in on them.
    [/quote]

Dude, you obviously didn't read the book right and know nothing of relationships. They were no longer dating in book 7, she gave Harry a kiss for his birthday so that Harry would remember her when he is out hunting horcuxes (of course Ginny didn't know what he would be doing, she just knew that he would be out there trying to find a way to defeat Voldemort.) Reread the book my friend! They were no longer a couple, though they still loved each other, they were no longer a couple. Thats why when Ron walked in on them Ron got mad at Harry cause Harry had already broken up with her.
    Post edited by xeraph on
    [quote=sectumsempra08]i think they did a terrific job of honoring dumbledore in the movie. it was very emotional. if they added the funeral as well it would have been once again repetitive.[/quote]

You said that it would've been once again repetitive, meaning a funeral was done.........when and where?
  • [quote=xeraph]They were no longer dating in book 7[/quote]

I NEVER SAID THEY WERE DATING IN BOOK 7! i was just saying that if they had ginny and harry kissing together already they broke them up in the 6th movie, in would be confusing to viewers who have not read the book. instead they will break them up in the seventh movie!!

[quote=xeraph]You said that it would've been once again repetitive, meaning a funeral was done.........when and where? [/quote]

dude, what i am saying is that they already honored dumbledore right after he died. i did not say it was a funeral. at a funeral you honor a person, so they would have two similar parts in the movie with the wand lit thing and a funeral which would have been a bit much.
    [quote=xeraph]You said that it would've been once again repetitive, meaning a funeral was done.........when and where? [/quote]

Are you being an awkward dick on purpose? Things don't have to be EXACTLY THE SAME as something else to be repetitive. Things could be similar in theme, or scenes could be serving a similar purpose to other scenes.

And no, the wandlit tribute isn't in the book. So what? It's a beautiful little scene, which is simply the smallest SMALLEST extension to the scene that occurs in the book. The funeral would have had to work in the context of the rest of the movie and would have taken millions (yes, MILLIONS. It would have been a massive CGI fest) to pull off.
  • thank you wilbo. i was waiting for you to come in here and agree with me. =)

some people just cant think the way we do =P
    [quote=Wilbo421](yes, MILLIONS. It would have been a massive CGI fest) to pull off.[/quote]

You're funny dude! Millions! For CGI! Hahaha! Dude, I work in visual effects. Certainly not millions. You're not building a huge set here mate, the funeral took place outdoors and there wouldn't be much to CG on. really! The ones that say it costs millions basically takes all those millions and pockets it.
  • [quote=xeraph]You're funny dude! Millions! For CGI! Hahaha! Dude, I work in visual effects. Certainly not millions. You're not building a huge set here mate, the funeral took place outdoors and there wouldn't be much to CG on. really! The ones that say it costs millions basically takes all those millions and pockets it. [/quote]

the whole background outside is CGI...
    [quote=sectumsempra08]the whole background outside is CGI...[/quote]

No, the background outside is what it is, the background outside. You shoot the scene at a lake somewhere with open ground, you will have to CG, Grawp, the merpeople, and the centaurs. But that's not much.
    ACTUALLY, they use green screens for certain parts of the landscape, the most major piece being...uh, Hogwarts. And let's see, Centaurs, a giant, mermaids, it's hardly going to be a basic affair. And seriously, I'm not buying that you're in visual arts for a second.
    edited August 2009
    [quote=Wilbo421]And seriously, I'm not buying that you're in visual arts for a second.[/quote]

hahahaha, someone gettin jealous! Don't hate cause you ain't here yet! I been in Visual Arts, effects, and design now for 3 years and am constantly learning cause technology is moving so fast. Programs are constantly being upgraded not to mention you always gotta look for something new to add that no one has seen yet. Its all creativity. I'm currently in school again for entertainment business and am still working in visual arts.

The funeral was by the lake in the book my friend. You don't necessarily have to show a far away view of the landscape or a birds eyes view of everything, just a shot by the lake. No green screen needed. Still if you decide you want the green screen, it would not be millions in CG. Not for a 5-10 minute scene. The entire movie in CG, yes. But not for a 5-10 minute scene. There's no huge effects or explosions and they wouldn't be shooting it in Time Square or central park in NYC, it would be out by a secluded lake with some open ground.

I wish you were here in person so that I can show you examples of how its done or can be done. And in the least expensive way but the best quality you can get, I don't feel like typing everything, showing would be better. Thats what visual arts is, seeing. If you're studying film, they'll teach and show you how to make the most of a budget that is set. (at least my school does, not sure about others) In saying that, you would not have to recreate Hogwarts in the BG cause you should already have it according to the movies that were made.(all the HP series) Yates shows it in Order of the Phoenix and HBP, and I think his visual arts team did a remarkable job. Like I mentioned before, both films have great cinematography.

In the words of War (music artists btw) u know the song!
    Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends
    Why can't we be friends

sorry if I offended you wilbo, i'm not trying to be a jack a$$. Just ones opinion over anothers. I'm not saying that you're wrong and I'm right or vise versa, its just opinions. And I was being honest when I say that it doesn't cost millions for that little 5-10 minute scene and anyone who says so, is probably pocketing it.
    Post edited by xeraph on
    edited August 2009
    [quote=Wilbo421]And let's see, Centaurs, a giant, mermaids, it's hardly going to be a basic affair[/quote]

The centaurs were in the forest and hailed arrows into the air as tribute to the fallen head master, they were in the distance, so it would be almost like doing shadows, you would show a few of them, maybe just one, Bane. And the merpeople came up for a moment too and descended back into the waters, you wouldn't have to show alot of them, just the chieftaness and a few merpeople. And Grawp, they've already got him in the programs from part 5.

Being expensive was not the problem, because it would not have been expensive. But getting everyone to be in that scene was a problem for them, they would have to bring back some characters that were not seen for quite sometime just to appear in it. I think thats why they didn't do it, but still it would've been cool.
    Post edited by xeraph on
  • [quote=xeraph]i'm not trying to be a jack a$$[/quote]

i see you are trying not to be one but from all of your snide remarks, you are being a jack a$$